1. Buy a Ride

Chapter 2

I walked down stairs dressed in my lavender uniform and badge on right breast pocket. My father was at the kitchen table with a virtual room headset on in a meeting. My mother and older sisters were on their devices moderatoring and watching video streaming footage of company's workers at the office.

The house maid was already clearing away their nutrition bars and milkshake breakfast shakes. I grabbed up two bars and a bottled shake and headed for the door. Flowers opened the door for me.

I turned back to them. "I'm off." I said.

They waved at me in unison and went back to their jobs. I headed out with Flowers following me. I walked out of the condo into the hallway and took the stairs down to the bottom floor. Flowers followed silently.

I got outside the sunlight had barely risen above the grey and brown towers of the city. On the grey Sky-ways above my head cruisers flew by like birds twisting and turning with ease on the curvy roads.

I sighed and looked away and started down the stairs out of the gate. Flowers followed silently singing that song I liked softly as we flowed in to the herd of workers that had to work outside their apartments for Empiral marks.

I wasn't far from my job. I didn't even need to take a Subway train to get there. I filed in to line at the employee entrance waiting my time to get inside. Flowers stood beside me until it was my turn. I flashed my badge to the ID scanner and the door unlocked for me.

I walked inside. I walked to the security section door, keyed in my access code on the keypad and the door opened. I walked inside the security room where River Bridge dressed in all black uniform similar to mean sat. He turned with news-magazine in his hands setting it down as he rose from his seat and gave me a wink before he passed his blaster holster to me. "Happy belated birthday Alex. Sorry about the bullshit. Hey at least you won't have to do a shity job like the rest down graders."

I smiled sadly wishing he hadn't said anything as I strapped on the belt and checked the battery it was good for my full watch of five hours. He walked past me and out the door as I took his place. I saw video footage of Flowers standing outside half waiting for me with another maid while she looked at her favorite soap opera online and chatted with the maid.

I put my detapad down and streamed my favorite podcast on low volume as I began my job for next hours.

Time went by slow with little foot activity in and out of the building. Lower security was all I had been tested to be able to do well. This would have been my lot in life if not for my sudden conscription notice I received three days prior to my birthday and then being stamped yesterday.

I wondered how I was going to buy a cruiser at my pay grade. My deta tablet suddenly cut off. I looked at the red light flashing on the screen.

Damn. I forget to recharge it for the day. I had one hour to go before I had to finish my shift and then I was headed for slave school and then a long walk home only to repeat the cycle for the next three weeks.

I looked down at the magazine that Bridge had left. I picked it up and began to flick through the articles occasionally between resting my eyes from watching the security screen. My gaze locked on the used crusier advertisements.

Pear White XXD two door crusier 20XI $20k Empiral marks.

I liked it and I could afford it. I had 20 marks in my broker account. I had planned to spend it on a small cheap condo. This looked right. I sent thea owner a message and offer of 16k.

The owner sent me back a counter offer of 18k. I smiled and sent him a link of transfer of funds.