𝟛

We were at cookout, I've always heard about 'the cookout after party' but I didn't know how wild they were. I mean you would think we were college students or something.

Cookout parking lot was packed, hell I think some people were parked at neighbouring restaurants. Music was blasting, blunts was burning, liquor being passed around.

I followed Royalty and Kacey through the crowd, looking for their group of friends.

These friends of theirs were what I considered to be the cliche popular group. A mix of pretty girls, instigators, athletes, and gang members.

Only thing I could say that wasn't a perfect cliche was that the pretty girls were actually smart. They had they head on right when it came to school. But they quick to turn dumb for a nigga.

The instigators are the messy people, folks always stirring the pot trying to make a mess out of everything.

The athletes are just cocky and competitive, some athletes are more arrogant than others, but don't have skills to actually back it up.

And the gang bangers, you have the real Steppas and the fake steppas. That's about all you need to know.

I've never been the type to want to be popular. Being popular to me meant you had people looking at every move you make waiting to judge you, waiting for you to fuck up so there can be something to talk about.

That never sits right with me. Because nobody is perfect, and trying to be perfect to please others is only going to leave you with pain you're too afraid to show.

So, while Kacey and Royalty socialized I just sat back and observed.

"Damn they done got you out the house, Ian never seen you outside of school", I looked to see Payton.

She was a varsity cheerleader and my classmate in AP Economics. We never really spoke, shared a couple of answers and that was it.

"Yeah figured I'd come out since it homecoming of my senior year", I said.

She nodded. "You look good. you should come out more, we be lit."

I love compliments. "Preciate it. You look good too", I said looking over her body and she starts blushing.

I chuckled, damn that's all it take to get a girl to blush.

She was about to say something but one of her cheer mates came and grabbed her. Saying something about Bri being drunk and showing out.

That's when this nice ass Escalade pulled up into the parking lot. Had everybody moving out the way. The windows had five percent tint, had me thinking it was the feds or some.

They parked and out came a bunch of bad ass females. Jaylyn coming out the driver side.

Damn. They was turning heads for sure.

This girl is bad as fuck, I got to get her number or die trying.

"Mel, you good", Kacey said pulling my attention off Jaylyn.

"Yeah I'm good." , I'm tryna figure out how I'm gone get girl number by the end of the night.

I was getting tired of standing in the same spot so I start walking around. I was about to go inside cookout when I heard my name being called.

I turned to see Malachi approaching me.

"Yo wassup", I said and dapped him up.

"Shit, I was tryna see if you had some pictures of me from dah game.", he said.

"Yeah I got some, Ian get yo interception though. Wish I did, that shit was too tuff nigga", I said giving him his props.

He thanked me and I told him I would send the pictures when they were uploaded.

I went in cookout and surprisingly it wasn't packed. I just wanted to order me a drink, I was parched out here and I wasn't about to get a drink from nobody out there.

Once I had my lemonade, I went back outside. I made my way back to where I was, propped up on somebody car. Kacey was there and she was talking to Jaylyn.

I couldn't do none but stare at her. She had me captivated. Every now and then she would make eye contact with me, she even checked me out.

I don't know too much about feelings and emotions, but I know vibes. And what I was getting from Jaylyn was a lot, sort of overwhelming and intense. Maybe because I'm a nervous as fuck. But every time we made eye contact, it felt like it was just us two staring into each others souls.

"What's your name?", Jaylyn asked me.

"Mel", I told her.

"You stare a lot, Mel", she said

"Only when I like what I see.", she smirked and started sizing me up again.

She looked as if she noticed something, "can I see your tattoo?" She asked me.

"Can I get your number?", I asked.

She laughed. "No"

"Why?", I asked

"I have a girlfriend.", this four words left her lips and my heart shattered. PAIN.

"Way she at?", I looked around.

She didn't answer me, she just smirked and walked off.

Whoever her girlfriend is, they definitely winning.

Before I can wallow in my disappointment, I notice the crowd has formed a circle and the music from the truck stopped. There was a instrumental playing and whoever was in the middle was rapping. Now this the shit I like.

Dude started spitting and everybody was listening. He was making sure every bar was harder than the next. The crowd making 'ouuu' and 'ahhh' every time a bar was hard. I looked around the crowd and saw Jaylyn on the other side looking at me. I was about to give her some to remember me by.

When the dude that was rapping stopped, I found who was doing the instrumentals and gave them one for me to hop on.

I got in the center of the circle, all eyes was on me. Phones out with the flashes on. I was the center of attention, it's been a while since I had this many eyes on me. But now that they were looking, I was gone give 'em some to talk about.

The instrumental to "Stay with me" by debarge starting playing and my mouth started spitting.

"Oochie Wally,
Laddie daddi daddi
Looking for somebody
We can turn this to a party", I approached Jaylyn and started spitting game at her.

"Ya body and my body
While we bumpin to some bobby
If I see you in dah lobby,
Catchin signals is my hobby

Make the club freeze when I roll inside,
Fly with my stride and we swole inside

All my niggas gettin bitches
DJ turnin switches
If you got a girlfriend
Dat ain't nobody business" at this point everybody understood I was shooting my shot at Jaylyn and that bar had everybody going crazy.

"Sippin on dat liquor
Gettin thicka
Betta pick ha
Cause her body gettin sicka
Make a nigga wanna lick ha

My tone alone
Can make a woman feel at home
And if she tryna bone, shit
Then we can get it on

And Melly must confess
She's the best nothing less
Niggas feelin distressed
Lyrical mistress, yes

And I finesse
from the east to the west
I'm here to impress
Put the base in my chest", I stopped.
(Lyrics by Nezi Momodu, check ha out)

Jaylyn looked too stunned to say anything, and before I could everyone started jumping on me.

I didn't think of myself as a rapper, never wanted to be one either. But poetry was natural to me. I love poetry. The harmony of the words and the rhythm was truly beautiful to me.