Scene Three

Scene 3: Every voice

    Summary: Shifting focus from Horton to the Whos on the speck, the whole town starts trying to make their presence known. They’re blowing horns, hitting drums, banging pots and pans. “We are here! We are here!” Everyone is chanting, shouting, screaming. Except one. The son of the mayor, Jojo, is doing everything but shouting. He had turned on his invention, a huge sound machine with drums and horns and chimes. It isn’t enough. Horton can hear, but no one else. Horton tells them it isn’t working. Their world was dangling over boiling oil. The Whos lose hope and fall silent. Jojo grabs the megaphone used to amplify Horton’s voice and runs to the top of the tallest building in town, while his father urges the town to keep going. As the flower falls toward the oil, Jojo shouts into the megaphone, into the sky. His shout breaks through. Right before they fall into the oil, Rudy, the son of Kangaroo, snatches them out of danger. “I hear it! I hear it!” He shouts. 

    Interpretation: Every voice makes a difference. Clear and simple. Whoville was trying everything. They sang, they played music, they shouted. Yet it did not work. It wasn’t until every voice was present that they were finally heard. 

    Implication: Not sure what more I need to say here. Your voice can make all difference. You, with your flaws and your past, your gifts and your talents, your personality and your skills, can make all the difference in the world. Your voice might be the one voice that breaches the barriers of one person’s heart and allows them to hear God’s voice and fully experience Him for the first time. 

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
(Matthew 5:14‭-‬16)