"I had that exact same nightmare once!" said Klaus, causing the entire group to laugh hysterically.

"Go and grab us a drink, love," said Lucien to one of the women. "Feel free to fetch one for yourself."

"One for me, please!" Klaus called drunkenly. "And one for her, and her, and her, and her...."

"Tristan!" Lucien shouted. "Tristan! Come out, come out, wherever you are! Unless, of course, you're afraid!"

"Excuse me," said Tristan, before moving to where they could see him. "You should uh, move along. You're not welcome here."

Klaus smirked, pretending to be hurt. "Oh... oh, okay. We— we're not welcome here..." he plucked a glass of champagne off the nearest serving tray, "or maybe you should move along before I make you cry in front of all your little friends!"

"My concern is for your companions," said Tristan. "They appear out of sorts without a shiny pole to writhe upon."

"Ohhh," said Lucien to the women, "he's suggesting that you're exotic dancers! Which, to him, is an insult— if not hypocritical. But, don't take it personally, love. He finds all work demeaning. The only dignified way to accumulate wealth is by birth." He walked up to Tristan, tapping his nose. "Boop! Isn't that right, Tristan? Hmm?"

Elijah appeared from behind. "Niklaus."

"What is it?" said Klaus, having to turn around several times before he managed to find Elijah.

The elder brother rolled his eyes. "Oh, you're hammered. Which should come as very little surprise to anyone here, but it does hamper the festivities somewhat. So, could I recommend that you find the nearest exit?"

Klaus lowered his voice to a whisper, but Elijah cut him off, "Yes, and could you take your playthings with you, too?"

Klaus made a face before going to the center of the room. "You know, I used to find it insulting that I was barred from your special little club. But now, I realize that I lack the flexibility to become a member— I could never get my head far enough up my own ass." He bowed dramatically as his companions laughed loudly. He downed the glass of champagne in one gulp, looking around before spotting Maddy. She raised a brow at him, as if asking what the hell the point of this was. He winked, then looked at Lucien and the others. "Come on, let's go. This party's dead anyway."

They walked out, howling again.

"I am so sorry," she said to Tristan when she walked past him. "I should go."

"Of course," he said calmly. "Thank you for your presence here. It was most enlightening."

Maddy half-smiled, looking at Elijah and nodding before rushing out.

By the time she got out, Lucien and Klaus were gone. She chose to go straight home, and found that they had gone there.

"What the hell was that?" she said loudly when she saw Klaus was feeding on one of the women, likely so that he could sober up.

"You'll see, love," he said. "When Freya returns."

"Freya?"

"Didn't recognize her? I suppose that wig of hers did do wonders." He started to head upstairs, and Maddy followed after him.

"Are you mad at me?" she asked. "You never just walk away from me."

"I'm not angry with you," said Klaus, though his tone suggested something was bothering him, even if he wouldn't admit it.

"Then tell me what's irking you, because it's clearly something."

He ignored her again, and she lost her patience. Grabbing him, she shoved him into her room, pinning him to the wall. "Talk to me, damn it!" she said, frustrated. "What part of us needing to keep our relationship firm isn't making sense to you? This is exactly what they could want! For us to be torn apart! This can't work if you don't communicate with me!"