2

2

Bernhard stared into his beer and all he could see were the ripples caused by the trembling of his hands. He released the mug, shaking those hands and looked around the beer cellar where the great man, Ludwig van Beethoven had brought him after he had taken his beloved Hilde's head. Shorn it from her shoulders with one swipe of his curved sabre.

The Maestro, himself had disappeared only moments ago, stating that he needed to relieve himself, leaving Bernhard alone with his thoughts, his regrets and his guilt. He doubted he could ever forgive himself. What he could even begin to tell Hilde's father, he could not imagine. Though, as he thought about it, it would probably be for the best were he to leave Vienna for good. Fingers would point his way. Accusations would cross every tongue.

"I just peed as high as my head!" The Maestro lifted a leg across the bench and planted himself down, pulling his mug of beer towards himself, still adjusting his breeches with his other hand. "Oi! Darling! Two more beers over here, and your lovely big bum for my knee, eh?"

The Maestro winked at the serving woman half his age. Bernhard lowered his gaze. He had never seen such impropriety, especially for one so lauded as the Maestro. For certain, Beethoven had not served his legend well. A great man, a wonderful man, filled with passion and such untouchable talent and here he sat, flirting with serving women and struggling to adjust himself.

"Maestro, I appreciate your intervention. Had you not appeared when you did, I very much doubt I would have lived to see the sunrise." He glanced up and then away once more as the Maestro groped the serving woman as she brought their beers. She didn't seem to mind, but still. "But, I must insist that I leave. This is not the time to carouse and ... and ... I must retire to a church and fall upon the mercies of Our Lord."

"Bollocks!" The Maestro slapped Bernhard on the shoulder than pushed the mug of beer before him. Bernhard hadn't finished the last one. "Get this down your neck and let your hair down. You've seen it, tonight. Life's too short, mate. And it's Luddy, or Beety, by the by. None of this 'Maestro' malarky!"

Beethoven lifted his beer and began to drink. He continued drinking and Bernhard wasn't certain that the great man even breathed between gulps. His throat expanded and contracted with each swallow and, when he had finished the entire mug, he gave a well-satisfied sigh, wiping his mouth with the sleeve of his shirt. The mug slammed back onto the table and the Maestro shouted for two more.

Bernhard took a long sip of his own beer. It tasted flat and far warmer than cellar temperature, but he drank, nonetheless. Partly because he hoped that drinking would drown the thoughts of his wickedness from his mind and partly because he did not wish to disappoint the Maestro. Even now, Bernhard could see the Maestro's keen eyes watching him.

They had walked from the church square, the Maestro leading his white stallion, leaving the dust remains of his beloved Hilde behind. The Maestro had assured him it was for the best. Not to look back and always, always keep in mind the vision of the beast that had taken Hilde from him. The Maestro had insisted upon that. Remember the face of the Vampire Lord. Commit it to memory and remember, forever, who the true creature responsible for Hilde's death was.

"She was to be my wife. I had loved her from the very first moment I laid eyes upon her. A woman of such exceptional grace and beauty and I felt privileged that she would even look my way, let alone consent to marry me." He took another drink, the Maestro silent as Bernhard spoke. Before he knew it, he had emptied the mug. "When ... when she came to me, telling me of the man in black and scarlet, that invaded her dreams and promised her life eternal, I scoffed. I did not believe her. Not until it was far, far too late."

"We never do, mate." The Maestro clapped Bernhard on the shoulder once more and shrugged his own shoulders, giving a half-hearted smile. "Never mind, eh? Best move on. Get drunk, pay for your leg over and wake up in the morning for a fresh start. No point moping about it, eh."