Ch. 6 - Questions

~Maria's POV~
(Word Count: 757w)
(Warnings: None)

I woke up to the smell of food, god it smelt so good, I remember Luisa saying her mamá started cooking early in the morning, I knew I needed to tell her a proper thank you for helping me. I got up and changed into some clothes that Luisa's hermanita lent me, they were a little big but they would work until I could get more. I walked out and over to the kitchen, it was a bit of a struggle to find it, but I could somewhat remember from last night when we ate "Hola señora Julieta." I came to stand beside her and she smiled at me "Hola Maria, how are you feeling? I know my Luisita helped you with everything yesterday, is there anything you need?" "I'm feeling a lot better than yesterday, your daughter is very caring and kind, and yes she did help me with everything, I don't feel I need to ask for anything more, I just would like to help with something if possible, I know I've only just arrived here but I want to be useful."

We ended up talking for about an hour as she cooked, and she told me if I wanted to help, she could ask her mamá, Luisa's Abuela, to see if there was anywhere I could pitch in, but for today she told me that Mirabel was going to stay with me, and that she would help me get anything I needed. Luisa walked in gave her mamá a quick hug "I see you found company in my mamá, I went to get you for breakfast and you were gone, I'm glad you're able to start becoming comfortable around us." I felt my face flush just slightly "Yeah, so far the people I've met are really nice, it's easy to talk" I continued to have a conversation with her as the rest of her family filled in, each helping to bring food to the table before sitting down, I'm sure they ate as a family like this all the time, it made me feel like I stuck out just that much more.

She sat down with her mountain of food, it made sense since she was quite large for a woman, she patted the seat next to her for me to sit. I got what food I knew I was comfortable with and sat by her nodding a thank you. As we ate a younger boy who couldn't have been much more than 6 or 7 smiled at me "So who are you? The animals told me you came from the river, but they don't know who you are or where you're from." An older woman with hair similar to mine scolded him "We do not ask questions like that Tonito." "It's alright I take no offense to it, he's simply curious." I reassured her "My name is Maria, and I'm from a small town close to the capital, or at least, that is depending on where I am now, see I'm not sure, would you like to explain it to me?" I could tell he was excited by my questions. "Well, my name is Antonio, and we're in the village of Encanto in Colombia." I felt myself choke on my food "C-colombia?" I felt my eyes get a little wider and he nodded "Uh huh, why?" "Well, I'm from Venezuela, in fact that's where I was before the River, I've no idea how it moved me this far to be in Colombia."

After everybody got over the initial shock of me traveling so far, myself included, I wanted to ask there Abuela what I could help with before Mirabel took me to town, I wasn't sure if she would allow me to even stay in the encanto, it was made clear it was up to her, and although I didn't know much about the encanto, I knew I could never return home.. not after what happened, so if I could stay here, then I would do what it takes to stay.

"Alma, could I speak to you? I hope I'm not taking much of your time." I caught her before she left. "Not at all, what is it you need to know?" Well it was now or never "I understand you decide who stays and goes, as a sort of.. major figure in this town, well, I want to stay, and I want to help, be of use if I can." She seemed to think about it for a moment. "We will see."