Chapter 1 - 12 Years Before

Travis POV:

I know we don't really know each other and you probably have your opinions of me but I thought if I told you how I feel things could be different. The truth is, I can't stop thinking about you... I'm crazy about you. I think you're amazing! But I know these feelings I have are wrong, it's not a way a boy should feel. Shame swallows me whole. My father would kill me, but I can't live in his shadow forever I just wish I could be who I am without getting in trouble. But I just wanted to ask you Sal, will you go out with me?

-Travis

I scribbled out the last few sentences and stuffed the note in my pocket. Being gay is a sin. I thought to myself. He probably doesn't even like you back. And if he did, then what would happen next? Father would never accept it. I shivered just at the thought of Father. I hid myself in a stall and started to cry. I took the note out of my pocket and tried to throw it into the trash but missed. I'll just pick it up before class starts. I thought.

Sal POV:

I head into the bathroom and find a crumpled-up piece of paper next to the trash. It looks like someone tried to throw it and missed. Couldn't hurt to just have a peek. I think. I open it up and read it to myself.
I know we don't really know each other and you probably have your opinions of me, but I thought if I told you how I feel things could be different. The truth is, I can't stop thinking about you... I'm crazy about you. I think you're amazing! But I know these feelings I have are wrong, it's not a way a boy should feel. Shame swallows me whole. My father would kill me, but I can't live in his shadow forever I just... Then there's just a bunch of scribbles after that. Man... I check the stalls to see if there was anyone here and who wrote the note.

"Anyone in there?" I come to the last stall, and it's locked.

"No duh, fuckwad. Buzz off!" Someone says.

"Travis? Were you just... crying a second ago?" I ask.

"Sally Face? I- No! What the hell? Can't a guy get some privacy?" He snivels.

"It's okay to have emotions." I tell him.

"Yeah, for queers! Just leave me alone, alright?!" He says. I shrug and leave him alone. He's probably going through a lot, and I don't wanna bother him, so I head to the science lab to meet up with Larry, Todd, and Ash.