chapter three

song: SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK by Joji

         Minutes passed and Sherlock just finished playing his violin for John's and Mary's first dance. I couldn't help to think about who Sherlock really is. He seems cold, distant, without emotions but yet there he was, playing a song that he composed on his violin for his best friend's first dance.

The dance floor was suddenly full of people, dancing to loud music. My sight left Sherlock's tall figure for a few seconds to look around and when my eyes landed on him again, he was already looking at me. His eyes skipped past me and he nodded in the direction of the side door. I just turned around and went outside. It wasn't like I had anyone else to talk to. I didn't have any other friends there except Mary and John, that's what happens when you spend most of your life traveling.

Sherlock joined me, without a word and leaned on the wall next to me. Our shoulders touched and I craved a little bit more of the warmth he was radiating. Neither of us said anything for a good minute and a part of me wished Sherlock kept it that way when he broke the silence.

"Anxiety is nothing to be ashamed about" He spoke softly, yet it sounded too harsh for my ears.

"Excuse me?" I raised an eyebrow and turned my head to him. I was expecting him to be rude, I expected that he would know everything about me the second we met but I didn't see a point in bringing it up. "Is this you showing off? Are you trying to show me how good you are?" I raised my voice a little and moved my shoulder away so that there was no longer physical contact between us. I didn't know why I got so angry so fast. 

"No. I'm trying to offer you a dance away from the crowd" I expected him to say lots of things but this one sentence really caught me off guard. I just stared at him blankly before speaking again.

"What?" I didn't sound that angry anymore, so Sherlock took it as an opportunity to explain his deductions. I knew he wanted to show off, but this time I just let him. 

"You're nervous all day, not happy nervous about your friend getting married, no, you're nervous because there is a lot of people you don't know. Your eyes didn't rest on anything for longer than three seconds and you have been playing with your fingers and a ring, which is obviously an anxiety ring all day-" I almost didn't catch all his words as he was speaking quickly, but as soon as he pointed out my restless hands and his eyes slipped down on them for a second, I instantly let go of the ring and Sherlock continued.

"You have been also avoiding alcohol all day, so either you're pregnant or on some kinds of medications that prevent you from drinking alcohol. Checks out with anxiety meds. You had your first meal of the day here, so that means you were late for another reason than having breakfast. According to your phone you drove here through the city, you chose the longer way, there's a pharmacy in town, you were sure nobody would know you there so you bought your medication there, therefore you're ashamed of having social anxiety-"

"Okay, okay, not helping my social anxiety right now Sherlock" I stopped him in his monologue and closed my eyes for a second. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-" He started apologizing, sounding awkward. I heard his body shift as if he was taking some of his clothes of.

"It's okay, I'm just surprised" I opened my eyes and was met with Sherlock's softened gaze and his arm offering me his suit. I grabbed it with a quiet 'thank you' and put it on. "I'm not really used to cold weather" I explained, feeling the need to talk about something else.

"I know" He chuckled and I just rolled my eyes but a gentle smile appeared on my face.

"Would you fancy a dance, Aletta?" He asked,  sounding overly dramatic and serious which made me laugh a little. I liked the idea of changing the subject. My anxiety started out of nowhere, I hated it and the last thing I wanted was to talk about it with someone like Sherlock. Even though he was acting weirdly nice.

"With you mister know-it-all? Always" I accepted his palm and instantly felt more relaxed when I was wrapped in his arms, slowly rocking back and forth to the rhythm of music from inside. I opened my eyes, staring right at his shoulder, deciding if I should lay my head on it. It was tempting, the comfort and intimacy of our private dance floor creating an illusion of us. We looked like friends, maybe lovers, relaxed in each other's company and seeking comfort in the presence of the other. I didn't really realize at that moment that it was true. Realization always ruins the beauty of the moment.

"Why did you wait before you went to get me to my car?" I asked suddenly, as the thought occurred in my mind. I tilted my head back a bit so I could look up to Sheldon directly. He was looking somewhere behind me with a relaxed gaze on his face.

"What do you mean?" He asked, sounding vacant but his eyes slid down to mine.

"When Mary phoned me this morning, she said you went to get me the second I pulled up. But I was sitting in the parking lot for at least half an hour before you showed up" I explained, but deep down I knew Sherlock was just letting me sound smart. He knew what I was asking the second I opened my mouth. I may not know him for long but when you meet a person like Sheldon, your brain picks up on his behavior really quickly.

"Oh, yes, that." He smiled, his eyes drifting behind me again. I felt his fingers starting to draw slow circles on my back. I bit my lip, trying to control my grin because as much it felt nice I was sure he was doing it unintentionally as he was focusing on something much more important in his mind. It was kinda amusing to me, that he was having a whole different conversation with me and probably solving another murder in his head. Little did I know.

"I simply wanted to give you space to choose to leave your car when you felt the most confident to do it. I deduced you ignoring Mary's calls wasn't just for fun. So when you picked up, I knew I wouldn't be forcing you out of your comfort zone, in that case, your car."

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I asked curiously.

"You don't know me, how do you know I'm not this nice all the time?"

"Your reputation proceeds you, Sherlock" I commented and stayed silent for a few seconds. "Why?" I demanded my answer.

"Well, John managed to actually marry a woman, why wouldn't I manage to behave nicely for one day?" He smirked and spun me around, as the song was slowly coming to an end.

"Oh I see, so it's a one-day thing then?" I whispered as he wrapped me in his arms again, me being closer to him than ever before. I felt almost hypnotized by his gaze.

"I highly doubt that any other woman would want to marry John" 

And with that the song ended and so did the warm feeling of his hands on my body.