🍂2~Oak Trees🍂

Lying there in the cold I must have drifted off for a while, as a thin layer of frost had coated my stiff feathers by the time a spray of leaves roused me, against my side.

My head shot up to meet green eyes.

Her slender shape twirled elegantly and cheerfully as she kicked up another cloud of leaves. She was prancing towards me.

I pulled away with a squawk in a desperate attempt to avoid being pecked, only to tumble backwards, finding myself lying in a pile again, facing up to see the faint glow of the dusty orange sky between branches.

"Hey!" her long comb blowing in the whistling wind, the hen shook a leaf off her head. Hesitantly I grabbed her outstretched wing and she pulled me up swiftly, steadying me with an outstretched shoulder as I stumbled clumsily, trying to find my balance.

"I'm Oaklyn by the way," her tail twitched in amusement as she swiped the leaf-litter out of my feathers. Like the Autumn oaks... I glanced at he treetops, rustling as their leaves rained down in all shades of orange, yellow, and red, and, in the corner of my vision, a single green one, still fresh and lively like the oddly cheerful look in Oaklyn's eyes.

"Auburnfall," I muttered awkwardly noticing her expectant glance. She flicked her tail which, deciding to be optimistic, I took as a friendly sign.

The laughter died from that emerald gaze as Oaklyn suddenly paused, tipping her head to eye me inquiringly. "What are you doing out here all alone?"

"Oh-" I took a pace back, getting ready to leave, "Am I not allowed to be here?"

"Of course you're allowed," Oaklyn scoffed, pressing on with another flick of her tail, "But what would anyone be doing in a pile of dry leaves in this weather?"

"S-sleeping..." I stammered, my beak beginning to chatter. "How... how about you?" I instantly regretted adding that as my head spun with the realization that I may have sounded... questioning? Confrontational, even? Would she find it rude?

"Who, me?" Oaklyn gave a nervous chuckle, which didn't sound half as nervous as my churning crop felt. "Oh, I was just... playing in the leaves," she admitted, then flicked her comb dismissively, "Hey, at least I have a sweater!"

I leaped back as the woolen piece of clothing was flung towards me, looking around to see the laughter in Oaklyn's twitching feathers.

My wings twined the olive-green lacing of yarn around one feather, subconsciously examining the leafy pattern in the lacework as I stared at her, wondering if this was an attack.

The crisp wind sent a chill through my feathers once again.

Catching the small nod of encouragement Oaklyn shot as I feathered her sweater I slowly pulled it over myself, relieved at the warmth it pressed back to my feathers even as the crisp breeze continued to blow at the tip of my comb.

"Better, huh?" Oaklyn clucked, and I noticed I only flinched a little as she nudged my side, "Wouldn't want you to freeze!"

(I said I'd add to this chapter but actually ended up deciding to shorten it... Don't worry though, I just moved some to an extra chapter and it's all still there. ;) It was mostly because I realized how much I was writing and figured it would be more organized to split it up into multiple chapters. Thank you for continuing to read Auburn's Fall, and I hope you enjoy the next chapter- there's some new content! :D )