vii. | don't forget to breathe

Start from the beginning

"Peter Sweeney and Bill Carlton," the two read in unison, Emery swallowed. "1970."

Totally a vengeful spirit.

☪✡

"Okay, this little boy, Peter Sweeney, vanishes and this is all connected to Bill Carlton somehow," Sam summarized, Emery slouching in the backseat, staring out the window.

"Yeah, Bill sure as hell seems to be hiding something, huh," Dean stated.

"And Bill, the people he loves, they are all getting punished," Sam continued.

"So, Bill obviously did something to Peter," Emery stated, crossing her arms over her chest. "Probably killed him. Made him vengeful."

The boys looked at her, curiosity sparkling in their eyes.

"Peter's spirit would be furious," Dean offered. "It'd want revenge, if possible."

A couple minutes later, the Impala pulled into the Carlton driveway. The three hunters got out, and Emery took one look at the lake and bolted, sprinting to the docks.

She heard Sam shout something behind her, but she was to focused on trying to stop the boat Bill was on.

"Mr. Carlton," she shrieked as loud as she could, but that didn't seem to stop him.

Emery reached the edge of the dock, and started taking off her cloths. She was going to save this guy, even if she had to drown in the process. Her jacket came off, then her pants, and Emery dived into the cold water.

When she broke the surface, she heard Sam and Dean shouting from the dock as she tried to swim as fast as she could. Emery needed to save him.

Suddenly, the boat was sent flying into the air, Bill Carlton flying out and into the water. Emery screamed, before diving under and trying to save him. But, as she swam through the icy water, Emery couldn't find Bill anywhere.

It was as if he disappeared.

Emery broke the surface again, swimming toward the dock and climbing out with the help of Dean. She numbly put on her clothes, and when Sam gave her a hopeful look, she shook her head.

She made her way to the Impala, climbing into the front seat and blasting hot air on herself. Before Emery knew it, the police were there and they were getting escorted back to the station.

As they walked in, Emery shivering, she spied Lucas and Andrea, and gave the boy a fake smile. Lucas looked distressed in a way.

"Sam? Dean? Emery? I didn't expect to see you here," Andrea sounded surprised, and Emery glared at her.

She just really didn't like Andrea Barr.

Andrea didn't seem to notice the petite brunette glaring at her as she stood from her seat in one of the couple chairs, setting a paper bag in her place.

"So, now you're on a first name basis?" The sherif asked, motioning to the hunters. "What are you doing here?"

"I brought you dinner," Andrea explained, and Emery noticed Lucas getting more distressed from his spot beside the food.

"Oh, I'm sorry, sweetheart, I don't really have the time," The sheriff said, taking off his jacket.

Andrea looked from her dad to Dean, before her eyes flickered to the soaking wet girl staring at her son. The Barr girl sighed, "I heard about Bill Carlton. Is it true? Is something going on with the lake?"

The sheriff looked back at the hunters. "Right now, we don't know what the truth is." He stared at his daughter. "But right now I think it's better if you and Lucas go home."