| chapter thirty nine. |

Start from the beginning

The set ended. He's screwed.

"Kageyama, you act like middle school again."

Suga's words left him speechless. Kageyama didn't know what to do. What should he say? He didn't even dare to look at his teammates, who were gathered in a crowd near the coach. Leaving him in the court alone.

Should he blame Yanagi-san? No, Yanagi-san wasn't wrong... From the start, it was Kageyama himself who was wrong. Why would he try it when he knew he was a tyrant? He even destroyed himself.

"I'm so sorry..." he said slowly but managed to be heard by the Karasuno team.

"I've thought about it for a very long time... Why is being the 'King' a bad thing?" Hinata interrupted Kageyama's words, walking towards them with a towel around his neck. His eyes then looked at Tsukishima with a slight frown. "Was it 'coz it means he's oppressive? 'coz he's self-centered?"

"Whatever the reason, it doesn't really matter... 'coz if I don't agree with what Kageyama is saying, all I gotta do is simply tune him out!!"

Hinata's words elicited a surprised look from Kageyama. Not sure whether he should be pleased or annoyed by those words.

"Critique and criticism from someone don't bother me... but the way they get their message across and their tone of voice do..." Tanaka said. "If that rubs me the wrong way, then I sure as hell ain't listening."

From behind him, Suga said with a straight face. "Tanaka is generally very receptive to all the criticisms that come his way. He definitely has a short fuse if he perceives his teammates acting in a rude or disrespectful manner though."

"Yeah, true."

Asahi smiled a little. "Well, I guess I do prefer such things being said to me in a more gentle, patient tone..."

Hinata then looked at Kageyama. "That's why... It doesn't matter whether you're a 'king' or not!" the towel around his neck then he wrapped it around making a circle. "Besides, a nickname like the 'king' sounds totally badass..."

"'There is no greater toss than one that is easy for the spiker to hit', that's definitely something that can only be achieved through communication," Kageyama turned his body towards Coach Ukai who was approaching him. "However, that doesn't mean you're not allowed to have disagreements about it."

Kageyama remembered Miya Atsumu's words from the All-Youth camp; and how he had always asked his teammates about the preference toss he gave them.

He looked up, looking for Yanagi's figure, who was now approaching him.

"Did you hear them? Everyone has their own opinion. And they don't mind if you ordered them; all you have to do is soften your tone, be more considerate. Communication is very important. You can't decide for yourself. Volleyball is a team sport in which players play different positions and have their own thoughts and opinions. And as Coach Ukai said, It's natural to have disagreements," Yanagi poked his chest. "Try to broaden your view. Know the condition of your teammates and opponents. Lighten your expression, like when you're spiking. Be free, fly higher, and reclaim your crown, my little King."

Kageyama gaped, his eyes widening in surprise as he looked at Yanagi. He seemed to recall his grandfather's words from a long time ago.

"If you get really good, I promise you... somebody who's even better will come and find you..."

Is that him? Was his grandfather referring to Yanagi-san? A number of questions arose in his mind. But, he won't bother about that, his heart feels light.

"Yes..." Kageyama smiled a little.

The whistle for the second set rang. He was forced to return to the court before seeing Yanagi's nod directed at him.