3

I'm standing in front of Zach Gardner's house with Cody and Cara by my side. I can hear the speakers from the inside blast through the windows. To say it is packed would be an understatement.

"We'll stay with you the whole time," Cody says to me, putting his arm around my shoulder.

"You guys really don't need to babysit me. It's not like Dean is around here or something," I reply, heading towards the door with the both of them.

"Ew, don't even jinx it," Cara says, scrunching her nose.

"Tonight, we celebrate you, Cody," I smile. He beams at me taking my hand and Cara's and leading us into the house.

We're immediately bombarded with Zach Gardner at the foot of the stairs and another team player next to him.

"Cody, finally you made it," Zach yells, pulling him in for a man hug. "And you brought two lovely ladies, I've never seen before,"

"Zach, I'm literally in your Chem class," Cara hisses.

"Oh, my bad. I never pay attention in that class," he responds with a sheepish grin on his face.

Cara rolls her eyes. "Where's the booze?" she asks, ready to charge towards the kitchen.

Zach points to the kitchen, ready to say something more to Cara before she goes away.

"Be right back," she tells me, running towards the keg.

Zach turns his attention to me. "You must be the famous Isla. Cody has talked about you so many times, but I figured you were his imaginary friend since I never saw you around parties or games."

Cody punches him in the arm. "Shut up, Gardener."

"You're right. I'm the best friend," I smile. I get ready to draw out my hand to properly introduce myself before I remind myself that we are young adults at a freaking party. No need for formal handshaking.

"I know I've never seen you around because I would remember a pretty face like yours," he winks, brushing his blonde hair back.

"Keep your paws off, Isla," Cody warns in a joking manner with a hint of seriousness in his tone.

Zach throws his hands out in defeat. "Alright, keep your girl."

It's funny how no one ever believes that Cody and I really are just best friends. There was never anything more between us; I know there would never be. We look at each other as siblings.

"Is anyone gonna say hi to me?" Zach's friend next to him says. He looks Indian and has crazy beautifully green-pigmented eyes.

"Ishaan, my man, great defense tonight," Cody yells, throwing him a hard pat on the back.

"Thanks," he laughs. Then, he turns his attention to me. "Hey, I'm Ishaan. Do we have Bio together? You look familiar," he smiles.

"Oh wow, you're right. With Professor Sparks, right?" I exclaim.

"Yeah," he nods. "He's such a bore!"

I throw my head back laughing. He is right about that.

"Guys, guys, no talk about classes at this party," Zach groans, pushing us all together into the living room where there are tons of people dancing and drinking.

"I'm Isla. Nice to meet you," I tell Ishaan while Zach drags us to Cara who's bringing drinks to us.

Ishaan smiles back while grabbing a cup from Cara and giving it to me. I glance at the beer in the red cup in doubt. I never drink. I have nothing against it. Just never went to parties really to experience it. I grab the drink and glance back at Cody who is smiling at me.