2

Tonight, would be my first college basketball game. I've managed to avoid every mixer, football, basketball, whatever sport game since I was a freshman a year ago. Maybe Cody was right. Things needed to change, I needed to stop missing out. I remember enjoying going to all of Cody's games back in high school. I mean I even joined the dance team junior year until it got too hard to live life while suffering with Dean. He made living unbearable.

After class, I go apeshit on my closet trying to figure out what to wear to the game and eventually the party which would be right after if Cody makes the shot. Huffing, I slam the closet door and stomp towards my phone. I can't do this alone. I quickly text my second closest friend Cara for backup. My heart almost flies out of my chest as my phone starts to ring before I've even sent the message.

"Open your door," Cara sings.

I quickly run to my front door before hanging up and open it to see Cara standing there with a duffle bag and a goofy grin on her face.

"Are you- are you a mind reader?" I ask, cocking my head to the side, genuinely thinking of the possibility.

"Call me fairy godmother," she says in a British accent, making her way into the living room. "A little birdie told me you're going to the game tonight and the party."

I cross my arms and roll my eyes. "You mean bigmouth Cody the Birdie?"

"Yes," she giggles, unzipping her duffle bag to pull out a load of clothes.

"Well, the party is still undecided," I huff, getting nervous again at the possibility of going.

"Oh, come on. It's Cody we're talking about. He's making that shot. Where is he anyway? Isn't he home?"

"No, he went to practice before the game."

I look around the small apartment Cody and I live in and smile. It truly is a dream living with your best friend.

"Well, come on, let's get you ready," Cara chirps. "I'm already done."

I take a glance at her outfit. She's wearing a white blouse tucked into distressed mom jeans with her short pink hair styled in light waves.

"You look great, Care," I smile. It's the perfect casual look for a basketball game and party right after.

"I know," she beams. "Now, your turn. I was thinking you could pair this plaid skirt with the long black sleeve crop top you have. Ooh! And wear them with your black knee-high boots."

"Damn it, woman. You're good," I admit, thinking about the outfit in my head.

"Well, strip down, woman!"

"Alright, alright," I laugh, pulling down my leggings and slipping into the skirt. I run to my closet to put on the top and look at the finished outfit in the mirror. Cara was right. It is super pretty and I feel it boosting my confidence.

"I told you," she yells, plopping herself onto my bed. "You look gorg!"

"Thanks, Care."

I quickly sit down at my desk to do my makeup and pull my long brown hair into a sleek ponytail. I stare at the finished product in my makeup mirror. My usual boring brown eyes are complimented with a light shimmer on my eyelids and mascara to elongate my already long lashes. My babyface is complimented with a light blush and contour to tone my face.

I feel pretty.

Something I didn't feel for a long time while I was with Dean, even though I knew I was a pretty girl. Trash men can make you feel like scum.

"How do you feel about eventually going to the party?" Cara asks out of nowhere, breaking me out of my thoughts. She's probably seen me blackout for a second.