2.

Five Years Later.

Bo still worked the docks.

His right side didn't quite work right from the incident. His reputation, as Lester predicted, tanked. It was known he was...oh what did they call him?

"Fish Fucker"

"Bubble Blower"

"Scale Slut"

Bo appreciated the effort at alliteration.

It didn't bother him anyways. He never understood the hatred of merfolk and he understood it even less now.

He sighed, grunting as his arm started to act up a bit. He figured he'd steal some pain meds from Vincent later, once he got back home.

He heard a splash and something hit the boat. Raising an eyebrow and turning, his eyes grew wide when he realized it was a mer.

Not just any mer however. It was her.

He'd recognize those eyes anywhere. Her hair was longer and she stared at him curiously.

"...Hello ma'am" Bo said politely, "can I help you?"

The mer said nothing, tilting her head at Bo much how a curious puppy would. Bo carefully took a fish from the net he'd recently pulled up and went to offer it to her.

He must have moved too quickly as the mer flinched, almost diving back into the water until she saw that Bo had stopped in his tracks.

At that she paused, looking at Bo suspiciously before she saw the fish in his hand and perked.

"...Here" Bo said, offering the fish to her. Slower than before, "...y'hungry?"

The mer snatched the fish, giving Bo a beaming smile before diving back under the water. Bo blinked,

"Guess that answers it..." he said to himself aloud before going back to his work.