happy ever after. [ roronoa zoro ]

feelings are hard.

they can make your stomach turn, your heart slam against your ribs, your skin boil. you lose your ability to speak, chewing on your own words that cause coherent sentences to sputter out in a series of unintelligible chunks. you're sweaty, you're nervous, and worst of all, you're vulnerable.

neither you or zoro like any of those things, nor do you know what they mean.

your absence of ordinary emotional processing can be a blessing, but it also is incredibly frustrating for everyone else on the damn ship. for you both, ignorance is bliss. for nami and usopp, it makes them want to tear their own hair out, then yours.

zoro likes to think he prefers the spring islands.

the temperature is comfortable enough to sit in the sun without having to hide beneath the shade every now and then. a breeze will gust over his shoulders then disappear for the next hour or two. the crew bounces about the deck and from room to room, getting work done or messing around on the green.

"are you asleep?"

a gentle kick to his side rouses him, his lips curling into a scowl as his eye pops open. your shadow looms above him, though your eyes still seem to catch the sun. his gaze flickers to your hand as you push your hair behind your ears, pastel blue nails combing through. something gets caught in his throat, words unable to peak from his lips. sore throat?

"uh, no," he coughs out, leaning back on his elbows. "can i help you?"

a grin tugs at the corner of your lips, which allows him to notice the lip gloss that glistens about them. his throat runs dry, swallowing desperately to retain the moisture. definitely a sore throat .

"nah. just felt like bothering you." you say before sitting beside him, placing a book he wasn't aware you were holding in your lap. your orange top catches the sun, your white skirt flowing around your legs. his eyes drift, though are quick to find your profile once more when you add, "also, i just enjoy your company."

zoro's brows rise, trying to play off the way his cheeks heat. sunburn? maybe he really is sick. "yeah?"

you hum, leaning against the mast of the sunny . "surprisingly, yes. you're the only one who lets me have at least some peace and quiet."

zoro snorts as he settles back, stretching his arms over his head with a groan. "couldn't say the same for you." he teases.

your lips curve down as you playfully smack his head with your book, making your green headed companion hiss. "you know what? i take it back. you're a nuisance."

he rolls his eyes, trying to push his grin down as his eye flutters shut. "sure."

triumph floods through him as he feels you lay back down beside him. a sudden pressure on his left side makes his muscles lock, his body going stiff. your hair falls over his shoulder, your arm locking against his like a puzzle piece as you relax against his body. his heart is thramming against his chest, the debate between like or dislike flipping like a lightswitch in his brain, his skin blazing like he was the sun himself

zoro decides to let himself relax, his muscles going lax. he feels you fall further into him, the softness of your skin brushing his rough texture of scars and scabs. maybe he likes it, he thinks.

yeah, he likes it.

from the crows nest, nami and usopp's hands collide in a triumphant high-five, their howls of celebration echoing in the empty room.

"this is a stepping stone!" nami cries, her arms above her head as she spins.

"finally, maybe finally , they'll realize their own feelings." usopp grins. "no more awkward glances, fleeting touches, gazing across the room longingly. they're admit their feelings and are happy ever after."