chapter two: present day

Start from the beginning

"Stop that, fucking stop that," you said sternly. Heidi only pouted more. "Fucks sake," you whispered. "Fine," you gave in.

Since leaving Babylon, Heidi was the only person that could make you crumble like that so easily. You hated to admit it, but you liked it. You'd only known her a few years, but to humans, that was a long time. She was kind, witty, stylish. She'd started talking to you behind the bar one day and had simply never stopped.

You were content.

"Whose birthday is it again?" you asked, entering the bar alongside Heidi.

"Dane's," she said.

"Ah yes, the pretty one," you commented.

"The pretty not single one, anymore," Heidi said. "He started dating someone from the education department last year,"

"Good for him," you said, utterly indifferent. Heidi stared at you in confusion.

"I love having you around. You keep me in check about my gossiping," she chuckled, you smiled at her.

"Gossip is boring,"

"You're boring," she hit back with. You shoved her slightly, before the two of you approached a group of people at a few surrounding tables.

Heidi said her hello's, hugging her colleagues as you stayed behind her. Thousands of years worth of interactions and you still hadn't gained proper social skills. Heidi was helping, though. That was a start.

"Dane—you remember—?" Heidi said, steering Dane towards you.

"Yes," he cut Heidi off. "I do remember. I try not to, but I do," he said, chuckling slightly, before sticking his hand out to you.

"It's okay, you weren't that drunk," you joked back, remembering him dramatically slipping on the dancefloor of some club when you'd first met him.

"You're a liar, but thank you anyway," he smiled.

"Oh, and this," Heidi said, taking a woman by the hand and dragging her next to Dane. "Is Sersi,"

"Hi—," she stopped in her tracks, frozen in place with her hand stretched out before her. You didn't take it, but instead were glued to her eyes and face.

A face that you'd woken up to thousands of years before.

Her gaze skimmed you up and down, taking note of your clothes, your hair, and all the other changes that had sprouted over the last thousand years.

Dane pushed Sersi softly with a chuckle. "You okay, hun?" he joked. Sersi snapped out of it.

"Sorry, for a moment I thought you were someone I used to know," she said, laughing awkwardly. You finally took her hand in yours and shook it, but said nothing. "It's nice to meet you," she said, but you could hear the bluntness in her voice.

Your heart had made its way to your throat when Sersi finally backed away. Heidi was the first to approach you with furrowed brows. "What the fuck was that? You look like you just saw a ghost,"

"I feel sick," you said, with lack of what else to come up with.

"What?"

"I don't feel well all of a sudden," you repeated, but your anxiety was starting to turn into anger. "I think I'm going to go," you said. Heidi clutched you by the shoulder and looked into your eyes for a few seconds.

She nodded once. "Get home safe," she said. You managed to shoot her a small smile. "Charge your fucking phone,"

You left as quickly as you could without looking like you were on the run from something. As you left the bar, you had the insatiable urge to run. You got into a sprint immediately, pumping your limbs until all you could hear was your heartbeat in your ears, and even then you kept going.