Chapter 15 - Towards a New Land

Start from the beginning

"Rigurd, order some goblinas to treat these dwarves and prepare a place for them to rest." This time, it is Ciel who speaks, not me.

"Your wish is my command, my lady." He bows again at us then immediately leaves the scene.

"You too," I say to the hobgoblins and wolves around us, "get back to what you have been tasked with."

"""Yes, my lord.""" Without wasting a single second, they stand up at the same time and go back to what they were doing before.

"Your village is quite peculiar, is it not, Lord Rimuru?" Kaijin asks me, eyes still looking around the village.

"You mean, about how it is filled with monsters instead of humans?"

"Yeah, I really did not expect something like this. Hobgoblins and black direwolves living in one same place, no one has ever thought that such thing is even possible, you know?"

Not black direwolves, though, but tempest wolves. But oh, well, they do look very similar to black direwolves.

"Ha-ha-ha." I let out a light-hearted laugh. "Right? Rather than mindlessly killing each other just for a short-lived supremacy, living together in harmony and helping each other like this are much better, don't you think?"

"Yeah, you are right. It is much more pleasant seeing folks helping each other than seeing them striking each other down."

Some moments later, some goblinas appear, approaching us. "We have come to inform you that the place to rest has been ready," they say as they bow to us.

"Kaijin and all other dwarves," I call, "we will talk about our plan to develop this village once you have calmed down. Take your time to get a rest first."

"Yes, young lord." The dwarves immediately follow the goblinas who are guiding them to their resting place.

Since it is still afternoon, we decide to just stroll around the village, watching the activities of our folks who have been working hard in accordance to their jobs.

The patrol team has been being busy guarding the village. As one might have expected, the hobgoblins chosen as the members of the patrol team are those who have the highest vigilance and the fastest reaction to imminent dangers. All seven members of the previous village guard team before our battle with the wolves were naturally chosen too as part of this team's members.

Some of them are guarding on the ground, each paired with a tempest wolf, while some others are guarding above the trees on wooden boards. Their eyes seem to be observing everything in front of them thoroughly, as if nothing will escape their sight.

According to Rigur Issei—the leader of patrol team—throughout the total of twelve days or so of our absence, a few magical beasts had tried to attack the village. But thanks to their evolution into hobgoblins and tempest wolves, as he put it, the beasts that had previously been able to get them killed easily were now just like some simple animals for warm-up.It was just a fancy way to say that the beasts had got killed before it even stepped on the village's ground.

Then, there is a food-gathering team that has also collected a pile of food and stored it inside a shack. This team consists of pairs of hobgoblin-direwolf with the best coordination and the most knowledge about edible and non-edible things.

Back in their regular goblin days, they had made a living from fruits, nuts, edible plants, and whatever beasts and animals they can hunt down. With the aid of tempest wolves, they can cover a lot more terrain.

Since the pairs have gained ability to use [Thought Communication] with each other, it allows the riding hobgoblins to guide their wolves more surely. Previously unbeatable foes are now simply a warm-up for them.