Chapter 2- The Curse of Eneas

Start from the beginning

"You need to get a license for those..."

"You read my mind well..." I said, impressed.

The first task of the day was to get my pass card from MIC, we climbed up those same familiar stairs, 'Magaime International Corporation' carved boldly, above the double door. The card was supposed to be procured the day after I entered here but the man on duty had taken sick leave.

"What's a Magi-ai-ma?" I asked, trying to pronounce what sounded like an ancient word. Cassiden followed my line of sight, tracing the origin of the question.

"That was the older form of what we use now. Enchanters."

The inside of the building was just as I had seen it before, but the main reception area had an adjoining space connecting to another area, something I hadn't paid attention to before. The corridor at the left of the main area was where we came from that day. Cassiden walked up to the 'help desk cum reception' informing her the purpose of our visit, the lady dialed to a stout man; Henry, and asked him to assist us. He was balding from the front, but a few strands of green could be traced.

"You'll need to wait; I will get your documents. We have three people today in line so would you be, Elora Bates or Avery Khelane?"

"Elora Bates",

His eyes went to my red streak, and a bitter look took over his face, "Okay, we'll proceed to the Imflow basin for your card imprinting in a few minutes." And then left.

"You might have to keep a watch out for Andronicans. A bunch of indignant people." He complained while gluing his sight to the man walking away, pointing secretly at the streak on his hair.

"So, why are there these marks on your hand and hair? What do they symbolize...? When can I tattoo the bracelet too?"

"You must have understood by now that there are three types of people" He indicated his hair, "We are three divided communities: Andronicans, Eromens, and Zocians. Eromen and Andronicans don't go well together because of some unhappy historical moments and Zocians are a neutral community. You will get the power mark very soon. " He pointed at his wrist, reading the desire on my face, "And you need to stop looking for ways to fit in, Elora. That's not the summary of life."

I rolled my eyes, "Is that why you don't stay here? Because there is a lot of hate?"

A strong deep silence prevailed, he was contemplating hard, "No, because the woman I loved, and my father chose to serve the King and died in the process. I promised never to return to this world until the King was dead." He jutted his jaw.

"And what's wrong with working for the King?" I scrunched my nose, waving my hand at his excuses.

"The very same King that killed your parents, Elora." He declared, and that was enough. Henry returned with a few sheets of paper and asked us to follow him and this time we went through the adjoining passage and then turned right, straight into a corridor, passed through many doors carrying nameplates, bragging success.

At the end of the corridor was the door we were walking for, Henry placed his hand on the doorknob and waited moments, turning his face to inform us with a looked of laced pride.

"Magic print access! only a few can access here"

The door clicked, he then pushed it open. From the way he mentioned the tight security, I was already filled with wonder but the room within was dark and empty except for a small square stone basin from which glowing light filled the room. We approached the basin and the man continued to speak roughly like he had done the introduction a hundred times and no longer found it fascinating.