Chapter 2- The Curse of Eneas

Elora Bates- Past

"Thank you" I whispered to the pixies that placed my breakfast on the table. Their wings fluttered in the air, shining red and pink.

A week had passed by, the sight of magic and unusualness was beginning to look normal to me.

"Here, this came in, this morning." Cassiden handed me a brown envelope.

"What is it?" I questioned, taking the envelope.

Silverstring Academy for Enchanters

My breath caught in that moment, the four words sinking one by one. I tore open the brown envelope like I had only a moment to live and scanned the letter.

"Accepted!" I squealed.

"Shopping it is, thenn..." he sang, growing excited at the idea. Cassiden had the best sense of fashion, he was always trendy and had all the types of clothes in his closet- from bucket hat to no-show socks, you name it, he had it. Even in his late thirties, he was well capable to entice a woman such that she would forget the age gap between them, but he still pushed the topic of a relationship away whenever it came up.

"Mom will meet us there. She had business to tend to with the bank." He then justified, "They've deducted 2 bronze coins."

I looked at him wide eye, believing that two bronze coins must have been a lot.

"Oh, seriously, It's not big of a deal it's almost maybe equal to maybe a dollar...My mother just... No, it's all mothers, they like to dig into matters deep until the red flaming core can be seen." I forcefully curved my lips, knowing that this would be something I could never relate to.

We took the same path to the spenua. The street filled with little children running and playing but the most peculiar event I'd witness was of a man wearing an apron with a large spoon in his hand, running behind his son who refused to drink milk. Such publicity from the father-son duo! I must say everyone stopped to watch them before realizing the whole issue and then carried about their tasks. Two women were standing and laughing wholeheartedly, one of them wore an apron, holding a cloth bag of green leaves hanging from the side. A man with formal attire hastily ran towards the spenua carrying an office bag in his hand. Woman with floral dresses was a very common sight here and long overcoat on working enchanters, too.

The crowd in Mooncity was nothing compared to Crystal valley, it was far more packed and had double the drama, gossip, and giggles. A group of little girls were eating ice cream of weird colours, teenagers were traveling on rectangular boards, like skateboards except that they didn't have wheels and were broader, moving in the air. Some were about 1 foot high while some were about 6 feet high. The slates glided with such smoothness, it felt like oil spilling on a surface. "What are those?" I pointed at one of the boards coming towards us, amazed.

"Those are slaters, they're used to cover short distances. Spenua open portals, a direct connection between two places. Slaters are more preferred because spenua are present only in certain developed areas and...oh little people, these models are a kill for models." He said, his gaze fixed on the steel slater, having blue wings protruding from the back, that flapped slowly regulating the speed of the board. "Back then, when I was a teenager, these slaters would move with energy coming from us but now their fully automatic.... You see those wings, they weren't there before, and...now... they seem much more advanced and glorious." He took in a large breath, controlling himself.

"Stop fanboying over a board that flies in the air, Cassiden," I stated with hooded eyes, not understanding a word of or even having the simplest idea of his craze for these things. They were cool but from my point of view, why not just walk the distance? A fall from those would probably be bed rest for days.