Holiday Foe (Heist Pt 4) [thief!Bucky x reader]

Start from the beginning

Brow furrowed, Bucky reached for his wine. "Oh? Strange how?"

You shifted in your chair, twirling a forkful of pasta. "You remember my friend Wanda?"

"Sure," he nodded. "Personal art shopper for..."

"...Mr. Stark. That's right. She's been curating his collection for years and..."

You paused, reconsidering your tactic in conversation but Bucky noticed your hesitation.

He set down his fork and reached for your hand. "What? What is it?"

Sighing, you brushed your thumb across his knuckles and met Bucky's eye. "Um...first, I wanted to ask how your day was."

Bucky frowned, then lifting a shoulder. "My day was fine. We received a new painting for restoration at the museum, so that was exciting. I had a new group of high school art students come in for a tour and that went well. All around...pretty good day. Why? What's this about, Y/N?"

"I just..." you began, choosing your words carefully. "I want you to know how much I appreciate how hard you've worked the past year and...I know it can't be easy making those changes. So, if you're tempted or slip up, I understand, I mean you're only human and I just need you to tell me because—"

"Wait, wait, wait," Bucky interrupted, raising both hands in surrender. On the inside of his left forearm you could still see the parallel scars from a heist gone wrong years ago. "What are you asking? You think I've been thieving behind your back? Cause I've been clean this whole year, except for those few you knew about."

You nodded, the flutters turning into more of a knot in your stomach. "I know. It's noble work, returning art stolen during World War II and I'm in full support of you, I want you to know that. I just wonder if...maybe the museum isn't enough. If something caught your eye, I get it. I just need you to be upfront about it because there could be repercussions."

Bucky let out a dry laugh, leaning back in his chair. "I'm confused. Are you accusing me of something? Cause if so, I'd love to know what. I've been completely honest with you, Y/N. I promised you I would be, but it sounds like you're doubting me."

"No, it's not doubt, I just..." you reached for his hand again, holding yours open on the table until he relented and grasped it.

He huffed out a frustrated sigh. "What's this about then?"

You rubbed a hand across your neck and then braced yourself against the table with your elbow. "A few pieces from Mr. Stark's collection were stolen last night."

Bucky's eyes grew wide. "What? How?"

"That's the billion dollar question. And the reason I asked how you've been feeling about the past year is that the heist was almost identical to your signature, Bucky."

His nostrils flared in anger. "Great. Not only am I being accused of something, I now have a copycat."

"Bucky, I'm sorry, I just needed to clear the air so there was no confusion."

"I know, I don't blame you, I just..." He took a deep breath and closed his eyes before opening them to level you with a genuine gaze. "Y/N, I promise you...I did not do any sort of heist last night. I really was working late on the upcoming exhibit and I won't be hurt if you check with my co-workers."

You nodded, exhaling in relief with a smile.

Bucky tugged on your hand raising you to standing before he slid back his chair and brought you to take a seat on his lap. "And...I want you to know that there's nothing worth stealing that would make me want to compromise what we have. You're more priceless than any artwork in the world to me."