Chapter 9

Harper couldn't wipe the smile off her face as she leant against the car door. Her arm hanging over the side as she gently waved it up and down in the wind.

Glancing over at Ace she saw the small smirks he was giving her every now and again, the toothpick hanging from his mouth.

She took a breath of the fresh air as she felt herself completely relax in the seat. This was the way she wanted to feel for the rest of her life.

Yet as she snuck another look over at Ace she realised that it might not be possible. She wasn't exactly a fictional character created by Stephen King to rule Castle Rock.

She was just a girl suffering with depression and anxiety in a world full of arseholes, dickheads and, as Eyeball would say, cock-knockers.

She laughed to herself as Ace glanced over at her.

"What's funny?"

She shook her head slightly as she shuffled over in her seat. She got as close as she could to him before gently resting her head on his shoulder.

He smiled to himself as he felt her relax against him. Keeping a hand on the steering wheel he gently placed his other on her lap.

Glancing down he saw her hand face his as her fingers slipped in between his. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze as he continued driving along the open road. Vince's car right by his side as they took up both lanes.

Ace kept his speed up to match Vince's as he kept glancing over to him, Vince was getting more and more spurred up as they continued racing each other along.

"No way Ace! Not this time! No way!" Vince shouted from his car.

Ace simply smirked at him as he looked back out over the road.

A big truck appeared, heading straight for Ace's car as he heard Vince laugh and cheer.

"I got him! I got him!"

Harper smiled to herself against his shoulder. No Vince. You don't got him.

She giggled to herself as she felt Ace's thumb gently stroked her hand.

Ace kept his speed.

Vince kept his speed.

"Fall back Ace. Come on." Charlie and Billy started up from the backseat.

"Jesus Christ, Ace, fall back! Fall back!" They both began panicking in the back as they watched the lorry get closer and closer.

Ace kept his speed.

Harper smiled softly as she watched the truck get closer and closer.

She knew how this went.

And she trusted Ace with her life.

Just before the lorry could crash into Ace's car it quickly spun off into the grassy field next to them.

Ace smirked as he put his foot further down and Vince simultaneously let his foot loose and Ace's car pulled ahead.

"Shit, man, shit!" Vince's angry shouts were heard from the car behind them.

"I won." Ace said, the confident smirk still on his face.

Harper handed him his open beer as she held it up to his lips. Not wanting to have to let his hand go she gently let him drink before holding it back down.

"You let him beat you ya cock knocker!" Eyeball's voice and laugh was soon heard as Harper laughed to herself.

"Weren't scared?"

Harper pulled her head off his shoulder and looked up at him, a smile on her face.

"Not for a second."

He smirked down at her as he turned and continued his focus on driving. Harper smiled as she gently lay her head back down on his shoulder, her eyes shut tightly as she knew the end was near.

She wasn't ready.

It was too soon.

She wasn't ready to say goodbye.

She wasn't ready to leave Castle Rock.

She wasn't ready to leave Ace.