Part Four

"How's getting close to Peter going?"

You grin. "Better than you thought it would."

"Oh, shut up." Brooklyn slaps you on the shoulder.

"Hey!" You hit her foot. "And it's only been two days."

Tess walks into the room. You and Brooklyn stop laughing. "What are you girls doing?"

"Just talking," you say cautiously. "What do you need?"

Tess shrugs. "Well, I wondered what your plans were tonight."

"Do we have a mission?" asks Brooklyn. It was either that or Tess was about to say she was going somewhere.

"No," says Teresa. "I thought we could play Wii or a game of Monopoly or something else, if you wanted."

You and Brooklyn blink in unison.

"Why do you look so surprised?"

Well, I don't know, you think. It's not as if every time she wants to talk to you, she needs something from you. What were you supposed to think?

A second after that thought passes through your head, you feel really... sad. Isn't this how moms were supposed to be? You wish she'd acted like a real mom. A mom who cared about your feelings, your life outside of evil-doing... Hell, you'd settle for a mom who'd give you a hug once a day!

But, as much as you wanted to have a good bonding time with your mother, you already had plans. And they involved being a villain.

"I'm going to Peter's house," you say.

Tess turns to you, nodding. "Will you kill him there?"

"Maybe." You shrug. "Depends on the number of witnesses."

She nods again. "When are you heading over?"

You check your phone. "Ten minutes or so."

"Are you ready?"

"Not really."

"You should do that. Brooklyn, wanna play a game?"

"Sure." Brooklyn heads off to find a game and you head to your room, throwing things you might need into a bag.

Jealousy... Not a fun emotion, jealousy is. Especially when it's directed at the best friend you've had since childhood. You'd done everything you could to make her life better than yours, and now that it seems like hers is better, you're upset? How does that work?

All those masked people you'd killed cold heartedly were so that she didn't have to. The one time you had said no to killing someone, they made her do it, so you just sucked it up and did what they said.

Including killing the one person you hoped you wouldn't have to.

Sighing, you place your guns, a few knives, your outfit, and your mask on the bottom of your bag. You cover it with a Beatles hoodie (it isn't important that you have an AC/DC one on already), a phone charger and cube... What else would you put in a bag to go to a friend's house? You'd only ever gone to MJ's house (who you weren't planning on killing), and you knew exactly what to bring since it was MJ. Peter, though, he's different. He's your mission.

You decide it's probably safe to just throw in a book, your sketchpad, a few pencils, and some pens.

You weren't sure if, as time went on, you were getting more nervous, less nervous, or more accustomed to the feeling of the knowledge that you'd have to kill Peter, if not now, eventually.