Part Three

"Ready to go?" asks Ms. Jones.

You nod, not entirely trusting yourself to speak. Your stomach is rolling and you feel like throwing up, which hadn't exactly been the feeling you'd been hoping to have going to your first-ever party.

"Are you okay?" asks MJ. "You look half-dead."

You smile at her, probably unconvincingly. "It's just, uh, nerves," you lie. Clearly, neither of them believe you, so you add: "I've never been to a party before. Especially one with judgmental high school students."

MJ and her mom nod, satisfied. "It'll be fun, don't worry," MJ reassures you. It's not the party I'm worried about, you think to yourself. You smile at her, trying to look at ease, but you don't think you pulled it off.

"If you're not up to it, I can bring you home," suggests Ms. Jones. "I'm sure MJ won't mind. Right, honey?" She looks meaningfully at her daughter through the rearview mirror.

MJ shrugs. "We can FaceTime and watch movies instead."

"It's fine." You say it more forcefully than you'd planned but it gets them to shut up for a solid two minutes.

"Well, this is your last chance," says Ms. Jones. "We're here."

She parks a little away from the house and you get out with MJ, thanking her mom for the drive. Ms. Jones waves you goodbye and drives away.

Oh, how easy it would be to just take MJ's phone and call her mom, telling her to bring her back home. That would be the only easy part, however. If you showed up back at home before nine, and Spider-Man wasn't dead, you would be.

"Let's go to the kitchens first." MJ leads you into Liz's house, ignoring everyone else.

"Why?"

"Because when you're at a party, you get free food. Therefore you take advantage of it."

You can't deny that MJ has a point. You follow her, sticking to her side after nearly getting trampled by someone else. "Do you want some toast?" asks MJ, going through Liz's cupboards. You opt to stand next to the door, out of the way in case someone comes in.

"What?"

She waves a piece of floppy bread at you. "Toast."

"Sure?"

MJ turns back around and puts them in the toaster. You're not paying attention and are therefore shoved harshly into the wall as a group of people come into the kitchen. Very clearly, MJ rolls her eyes at them and you try your best not to snort at her reaction.

A minute or so later, which you spent watching the group of people banter with mild interest, the toaster pops and you head over to MJ. You make your toast quickly because the girl you're following around takes her toast, drops a giant splotch of jam on it, grabs a knife, and starts walking away.

You get into the hallway to see MJ talking to Peter and Ned. "Can't believe you guys are at this lame party," is what she's saying.

Seems a little hypocritical to you. "But you're here too?" says Ned.

"Am I?" She takes a bite out of the toast and it crunches loudly.

"Hi (Y/N)," Peter and Ned say simultaneously. You feel sick again and don't want to eat your toast anymore.

But that would waste a perfectly good piece of toast, you think. Screw it.

You wave the tiniest wave ever and try to find MJ, eating your toast. You start regretting the decision after three bites and drop it into the closest trash bin you can find.