Sophia felt waves of nostalgia, immediately recognizing some of the buildings as they left the winding main highways, entering the outskirts of an even smaller city.

"I can't help it," Sophia finally spoke up after a short while, "-being worried I mean.."

Her fingers fidgeted around with the phone. "My mother never leaves them alone, and even if she has to, someone has to be there to supervise them. If she somehow got into a fight with that...man, she would've never let it pass this point."

It was very absurd to think about. Broken glass? Screaming matches?

It had been years since Sophia heard her mother like this. In fact, after what happened the last time...with the last man Sophia's mother had been hitched to. Her mother made a promise, even swearing that she'd never let a repeat of the past happen again.

But what was this now? Mia, while being so young, had to find the phone and call Sophia out of nowhere?

Calling her off her job no less?

"What could it be? Where the hell is she and where is he?" Sophia gripped the phone harder, speaking more to herself than Elijah. She had already called her mother for an uncountable amount of times. Unsurprisingly, none of her calls went through.

She didn't even bother to try and call Jermiah. She absolutely did not want to hear that man's voice in her ear.

"I'm sure it'll be okay," Elijah responded, keeping his eyes on the road, "And, if your mother isn't back by then, I'll make sure to do whatever I can to find her."

Even in her dark and worried state, Sophia still found herself smiling softly at Elijah. He was still...so sweet, not to mention considerate. Exactly what she needed right now. Her emotional state was such mess she almost began crying from that alone.

Sophia turned and kept her eyes on the environment outside, mostly because if she looked at him, she'd probably crack like a fragile eggshell being moved by the wind.

She was not feeling the best or most guarded at the current moment.

Sophia tried not to let her nerves get the best of her and started internally pointing out familiar landmarks she remembered from her area. It ranged from the police station to school's and to restaurants where she'd spend the day with a few friends back then.

If they were on the other, less residential and more populated side of the city, Sophia would've been able to point out the tall building where she worked for a few years before being promoted to the main branch.

Her expression soon darkened as she remembered the real reason
She came back. She was not here to sightsee so it was hard for her to continue with her little passtime.

♡♤♡

As Elijah's car pulled up onto the curb, Sophia was greeted by a sight she hadn't seen in a good amount of months. The sight of the home she spent most of her life in.

It was a simple quaint house, with only three rooms, one shared bathroom and the like. The lawn was overgrown, as usual, and the huge tree that once had a swing had rained leaves over the small fence and on the concrete. It had a good amount if yardspace, a small garage and other houses of all sizes went down a few more blocks with no dead ends.