A Potato Flew Around the World Before You Came

Summary: One time Jayson gave an unusual answer to the Ravenclaw's riddle and five times Sid did. Sprinkle in some feelings and snakes and bone apple teeth.

Based off this Tumblr post:

Additional notes: most characters are OCs (some may be familiar to some of you); a-spec characters; takes place roughly around 2010 with implied and vague (or not even mentioned) time skips throughout; kinda cracky (because it's Sid and Jayson)

Yesterday, Kyra had told Jayson to try not to swear too much in front of the younger years. But Jayson, faced with an unexpected task, failed miserably.

"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" asked the bronze knocker that was in the shape of an eagle.

"Oh, fuck."

He heard a sharp intake of breath behind him and turned to see a cluster of first-years staring wide-eyed at him.

Jayson nearly swore again but managed to hold his tongue — and the parchment in his hand. "Er, sorry. Um, what happens if you get the answer wrong?"

"You have to wait for someone else to answer," one brave boy said. He glanced at Jayson's yellow and black tie. "You're not a Ravenclaw."

"Evidently. But I am here on behalf of Professor McGonagall."

His words seemed to appease the first-years.

"Are you going to answer it?" a brown-haired girl asked, bouncing on her toes.

Her gaze held a trace of a challenge and Jayson knew he couldn't decline. "Er... I'll try." He faced the knocker. "May I hear the riddle again, please?"

"Certainly," said the eagle. "Why is a raven like a writing desk?"

"Well..." Jayson hesitated, all too aware of the first-years, who were probably hoping to hear him mess up. "You shouldn't shove either of them up your arse."

The eagle paused. Then, to Jayson's surprise, the door opened.

"Whoa," said the first boy. "I didn't think of that."

"Yeah, I was thinking they both had the letter R in it." A second girl, this one with black plaits, looked up at Jayson in awe.

Jayson shifted his feet.

"Jay!" another voice saved him from having to respond. Obsidian "Sid" Amsel was walking toward him, eyes bright.

"Hey." Remembering why he had come, Jayson held out the parchment. "From Professor McGonagall."

"Thanks." Sid took it, his eyes flickering to the first-years. "You can go in now."

They grumbled but went inside, casting admiring glances back at Jayson as they went.