"We don't even have our drinks yet and you already want to start talking business?" Walter asked, clucking his tongue.

"Aw, Walter," Michael said, the corners of his smile tightening. "Normally I wouldn't but I've got another meeting at two-thirty and you know how long our lunches can go on for."

Walter chuckled at that and I wondered how many times Michael had met with the man outside of the office. "You're right, you're right. Go on."

"Sophie isn't sold on signing onto this campaign," Michael said, not beating around the bush.

"Oh," Walter replied. He sounded disappointed. "I thought we discussed this."

"I know, but—"

"But what? What could possibly be more important to Miss Winters than her professional reputation?"

Michael took a deep breath. "Her, uh, personal life."

"What about it?"

"It's a little... busy for her at the moment."

Michael glanced at me and Walter looked between us, frowning. I could imagine the gears working in his head as he came to understand. "I see."

"I realize this is a bit strange," Michael said, clearing his throat, "but given the circumstances, Sophie feels uncomfortable continuing with the current arrangement. I really think the best thing would be for us to implement a termination date that suits both Richard and Sophie."

"Which would be after she agrees to do the campaign," Walter replied, closing his menu and setting it down on the table.

"Walter..."

"Oh, come on, Michael," Walter said with a humorless laugh. "You know how this works. You went into this agreement knowing that both of our clients needed to get something out of it, right? So far, what's Richard gotten? Nothing?"

When Michael didn't respond, Walter continued, "And now you expect him to just let her end things on her terms because it's no longer convenient? Uh-uh. She benefitted a lot from piggybacking on my client's reputation. Richard only wants this one thing in return."

"But why do they need to be linked together for that?" Michael asked, and I could hear a tinge of desperation in his voice that made my heart sink.

"You know why. The entire concept of Armada's line is romance—what's romantic about hiring exes?"

Armada... The name sounded familiar, although I honestly couldn't tell the difference between one designer and the next to save my life. I couldn't stop myself from feeling a pang of guilt, though; based on what Michael had briefed me on during our drive from the office, it seemed like this was the kind of opportunity that Sophie would ordinarily jump at. I had a feeling that even if Richard really was the bane of her existence, she would've been willing to suck it up and go along with the plan if it weren't for me.

Clutching at straws, Michael said, "We haven't even really pushed Armada to sign them separately."

"You're right," Walter conceded. "We haven't. But you know as well as I do that's because he'll just turn around and hire a couple that will stay together to further their careers."

I could see the resignation settling over Michael's features and he sighed. "What if we only carry this through signing? Richard, would you agree to end it on friendly terms then?"

Walter looked at his client, who shook his head in response. "Through the launch party," Richard said, pinching the bridge of his nose. "It'll be awkward otherwise."