You Poor Child Pt.2

Start from the beginning

"What?"

"Dude! You know? Christmas trees and lights and tinsel and baubles and snowmen and-"

"Have you not celebrated Christmas before, Shoto?" Momo asked when the boy sat down on the sofa next to her. "My poor baby!"

"Not really. Is that bad?"

The shouts that were aimed at him almost made him miss piercing his straw into his drink. He knew about Christmas, that you spent time with family and ate big meals and there might be presents involved. But did any of them seriously think his father would be one to celebrate meaningless holidays?

"You've never decorated a tree?!" exclaimed Jirou.

"No."

"Watched a light switch-on?" Mina asked.

"No."

"Presents?"

"Why?"

"Santa?!"

"Who?"

Collective gasps and groans made him grimace and put his drink down.

"Todoroki-kun we are going to make sure you have the best first Christmas ever!" Deku promised.

True to his word, he was dragged up to the Christmas tree and the whole class began decorating. It was big enough they could all add several ornaments, or baubles as Shoto learned, and he could admit it was pretty fun. That same night they dragged him out to the town and looked at all of the festive decorations in the many shops and pointed at all the twinkling lights above. Shoto slipped into one shop and picked up some sweets he knew his mother liked, making a mental note to take them with him the next time he visited.

Over the next few days, the second they finished classes they crowded into the common room to watch Christmas movies. Todoroki liked them, but he could understand some were definitely made for young children, but they were good all the same. Now he knew who Santa was, but he did find it creepy that he watched little kids when they were sleeping...

Then came all of the baking: gingerbread cookies, shortbread, mince pies, cinnamon rolls, and others he couldn't remember the name of. The shortbreads were really good since Sato put chocolate chips in them, but he couldn't get himself to like the mince pies.

"Who would eat that?" he mumbled to himself, putting the tart he had taken one bite of back on the side.

"Mince pies are delicious!" Iida and Momo exclaimed in sync, a few other classmates agreeing.

"Rich kids."

"You are also rich Todoroki."

"Rich, yet deprived." he joked, having some milk to wash the taste away. "They really are awful. Sorry, Sato."

"It's fine Todoroki, I'm not a big fan either. Gingerbread is where it's at!"

"Todobro, why have you never celebrated Christmas before?" Denki asked, sliding into the seat next to Shoto. "You never told us."

"Well, um... my father said the day was useless; any moment not training would only make me less able to fulfil my purpose of-" he cut himself off, cautious of both the fact that All Might was in the room, even though the hero gave him a sympathetic smile, and the fact that he didn't want to trauma-dump on his friends.

"And?" Sero encouraged.

"Well, I usually go and visit my older brother's grave and then have ten minutes to speak with my siblings. But that's always cut short, so I have to train with my father all afternoon and evening. I wasn't really allowed to see my mother..."