"Thanks for doing this." I said with a clear of my throat. I couldn't remember the last time we were alone together. He nodded while cutting the heat on. It was only early September and the Connecticut air had already dropped significantly at night. "So, how are you?"

"I should be asking you that." He chuckled.

"Yeah." I nodded while sucking the air between my teeth. "Just when I thought my life was going back to normal..."

"Our lives are never normal." He replied quietly, while stealing a look in my direction.

I was taken back to a time before everything had become so chaotic and unreal. In another world, without crazy connections and what not, Avery and I would probably still be together. It was strange to think that a person I once felt so strongly about, was now completely in love with someone else, and dare I say against his own will? Our own will? I was happy with Ryder, as I'm sure he was with Aspen. But I couldn't help but wonder what life would have been like had none of us been Whitelighters.

I shook my head, clearing the thoughts away, I wouldn't dwell in the past and play with "what ifs", it's was too late for that, and call me crazy, but I was happy with my life.

I took a deep breath as I watched the area around me go from city to suburb in a matter of minutes. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

******

My parents were happy to see me and kept asking questions about a class trip I hadn't known I went on. Aside from that, nothing had changed. I don't know how my friends managed to pull it off, but I'm glad they did. I don't think I had the energy to come up with any other explanation for my absence.

"Hey mom, dad." I started casually while walking into the living room. My father had his laptop out on his lap while my mother sat reading on her iPad, a football game was playing quietly in the background.

"Hello dear." My mother smiled as I took a seat across from them.

I smiled while placing my hands in my lap. "Hey, could you tell me about the night you guys got me?"

They looked between each other with obvious surprise. "Why the sudden interest?" My father gave me an anxious look.

I shrugged while watching them both intently. My mother shifted in her seat uncomfortably. "I don't know, I just don't ever recall you guys telling me. I'd like to know if that's okay with you."

"Honey-"

"Please," I begged with my eyes as I looked down sadly. "I just...I want to know where I came from." I swallowed hard as I willed my eyes to mist up.

"Oh honey," my mother cooed while moving to put her arm around me. "Baby, there isn't much to tell."

"You're mother's right." My father said with a nod.

"Well, what about the man that gave me to you? Do you know anything about him?" There was a noticeable pause between the two before my father cleared his throat.

"No, we didn't ask any questions." He rubbed his hands together and gave my mother a look he thought I wouldn't catch.

"Nothing at all? No name, not even what his face looked like?"

"Riley why are you asking all of these questions dear?" My father suppressed a sigh as he sat back on the couch and crossed his arms, he'd obviously put up a few walls. This had to be a touchy subject for them.

"I don't know, I guess maybe, there's a chance that man could have been...my father." The end came out as an almost whisper.

"That man has no right to the title," my father suddenly bit, causing both of us to jump. "Who's taken care of and loved you for the past 18 years of your life? I'm you're father." He bellowed while stomping out of the room.