Max quickly handed him off to Lucas, who instantly became grossed out as well. "Ugh, he's like a living booger." Lucas went to hand him to Maddie but she stepped back. "You put that thing in my hands and it's over for you, Sinclair."

Lucas nodded fast, instead sending the creature to Will, who grimaced. "Ugh, oh, God!" Finally, Will handed Dart to Mike, who just started down at the creature. "What is he?"

"My question exactly." Dustin smiled. He then turned, grabbing all the books he had "checked out" before school and set them down on the table. "At first, i thought it was some type of pollywog."

"Pollywog?" Max questioned. Dustin looked over at her. "It's another word for tadpole." Max nodded. "A tadpole is the larval stage of a toad." Dustin continued. Max gave him a look. "I know what a tadpole is."

Dustin nodded. "All right, then you know that most tadpoles are aquatic, right? Well, Dart, he isn't. He doesn't need water." Lucas looked at Dustin. "Yeah, but aren't there non-aquatic pollywogs?" Dustin looked over at his friend. "Terrestrial pollywogs? Yep. Two to be exact. Indirana semipalmata. And the Adenomera andreae. One's from India, one's from South America. So how did one end up in my trash?"

"Maybe some scientists brought it here, and it escaped?" Max theorized, trying to find a logical conclusion. Mike scrunched up his face as he looked at Dart. "Do you guys see that? Looks like something is moving inside of it."

Maddie groaned. "Ugh. Please do not ever say that again." Mike grabbed the lamp on the table, moving it so the light was shining on Dart. Immediately, Dart began to screech and run from the light, causing everyone to gasp and Dustin to catch Dart before he jumped off the table.

"Whoa. It's okay. It's okay. I got you, little guy. I know you don't like that. It's okay." Dustin looked back up at the group. "And there's another thing. Reptiles, they're cold-blooded. Ectothermic, right? They love heat, the sun. Dart hates it. It hurts him."

"So, if he's not a pollywog or a reptile..." Lucas started slowly and Dustin smiled. "Then I've discovered a new species." He began to pet Dart again, which had to be one of the nastiest things Maddie had ever seen.

She didn't know what about Dart just completely grossed her out, but the slimy thing just made her skin crawl.

But then the bell rang, signaling lunch was over and causing everyone to jump. Maddie immediately turned to grab her bag, slinging it over one shoulder as she followed everyone else out.

"We gotta show him to Mr. Clarke." Lucas stated, leaving the AV room. Dustin frowned. "No, what if he steals my discovery?" Mike rolled his eyes. "He's not gonna steal your discovery."

Dustin smiled, changing the subject away from Mr. Clarke. "You know, I'm thinking about calling it Dustonious pollywogus." He turned to Max. "What do you think?"

Max sent Maddie a small look, both girls slightly laughing at the name before she turned back to Dustin. "I think you're an idiot."

"You know, when I become rich and famous for this one day, don't come crawling back, saying, "Oh, my God, Dustin, I'm so sorry for being mean to you back in 8th grade. Oh, my God." Same goes for you, Maddie. I can hear your laughter." Dustin accused, turning to look at Maddie who just chuckled. "Don't worry, if this is the reason you became rich and famous I will be too busy staying as far away from whatever Dart is to even go near you."

SCHOOL WAS OVER for the day and Maddie found that somehow she had ended up in the classroom probably farthest away from Mr. Clarke's room. Meaning, she'd definitely be the last one there and would totally miss some of the big reveal.