8. Playing the Game

A brisk breeze snaked it's way into the tangles of your hair, tickling your skull. Opposite of yesterday's uncomfortable heat, today it was mild, even a bit chilly, but the AC was still on full blast. So you constantly found yourself rubbing your arms in some futile hope that you could suddenly feel warm and content.

But the kids running around your feet with the same hyper screaming that you'd expect for someone on drugs didn't seem to find it a problem at all. In fact, the cold seemed to increase their demonic abilities. And it wasn't fun. Especially since today the ice cream parlor was closed.

Bonnie had told you that first thing in the morning, meeting you straight at the door instead of hiding away in some remote corner if the bowling alley. Yes, you had always complained about how scooping ice cream was boring, but now that you had to deal with children, you found yourself wishing for it more and more.
Bonnie had also came to tell you that a corset was not necessary, of course with a furious blush accompanying his words (Olive had pretty much said yes to the adult night idea, if 'that's one of the smarter ideas our little brain has come up with' meant anything). And you had obviously said that it was totally necessary and there was no way in hell you were gonna show up if he didn't wear one. That had shut his mouth rather quickly, though the smug look you threw him really tested his patience.

Right now, Bonnie was playing some soft music up of the stage, his gentle strumming drifting around Bonnie Bowl the only thing keeping your sanity in check as you tried to entertain the kids. As you listened, you were reminded that Bonnie was actually a programmed to be good. His playing was effortless, perfect. So was his singing, which you could hear just above the crowd. If only you could get these kids away from you and actually sit down and listen. How could you tease him about the cringey lyrics if you didn't actually know what they were?

"Y/N! Y/N!" A little girl whined, tugging at your shorts, "teach us how to bowl!"

You grimaced. You'd already made it very clear to the kids that you'd managed to almost kill someone the first time you played, but that fact didn't really seem to click in their four year-old minds. The louder they chanted, the more toddlers came towards you, the louder the chanting got.

"Uhh-" You sent Bonnie a pleading look, but he only smiled at you with those stupid twinkling eyes and continued to play. He was so INSUFFERABLE.

"Look, kiddies, I really don't think this is a good idea..." You chuckled nervously as the boom of their voices got even louder, attracting the attention of literally every other person in the building. Thanks for the extra pressure.

You wrung your hands, very aware of the judging stares of adults. "How about we play some arcade games? Or jam to Bonnie's amazing music? Or- or set up a demon-summoning ritual! Whatever! I really, really don't need to be fired." The kids only screamed louder, stamping their feet. And this time, when you glanced at Bonnie with completely desperate desperate eyes, he finally finished up his song and strolled towards you, visibly resetting his features to his dealing-with-kids mode. You hardly ever saw it in action, but it was so weird. It was like Bonnie turned into a completely different person.

"Hello Rockstars!" The kids instantly mobbed around Bonnie like magnets, and Bonnie waved, smiling down at them, "What's all the fuss?"

"Y/N isn't teaching us how to bowl!" The same girl pouted, crossing her arms aggressively across her chest and huffing.

Bonnie let his ears droop over his eyes, raising his eyebrows in thought. "Well, how about Y/N and I teach you together?"

A sinking feeling dripped down your throat, and you gave Bonnie the death-glare of a lifetime, which he pretended not to notice. What was he doing? Did he want blood on your hands?

"Yes! Yes!" The children cheered, and with one swift movement Bonnie cleared the kids out of the way and tossed one of the bowling balls in the air, catching it swiftly and shooting you a grin (you always found yourself forgetting that animatronics were super strong, and couldn't help but blink in surprise).

"Bonnie-" You curled your sweaty hands into fists, staring down at the bowling pins, "this is a bad idea. The worst idea. Ever." Bonnie smiled weakly, and you knew that he hadn't forgot your 'hospital' comment. So... why was he doing this.

Bonnie seemed to read your mind. "I want to teach you. There aren't many arcade games that can be played by two people at once, and I thought... well, um. Maybe we could bowl together before the Pizza Plex opens? It's not that I would really- well, I do want to play with you, but... w-whatever. I just think, you know, you might get bored. In the mornings. Yeah." A soft blush tinted his nose as his professional exterior slipped. You would've rolled your eyes, but you didn't. That was... that was actually really nice. That Bonnie wanted to play with you. It made a warm feeling bubble in your heart.

"FINE. I'll try. Only for you." Bonnie's blushed deepened and he coughed bashfully. But, like he always managed to do, he collected himself in a few short seconds and turned back to the kids.

"I'll show you first, okay Rockstars?" The children nodded obediently, but Bonnie quickly turned his eye contact back to you. This was obviously a demonstration for your dumbass. Your ears burned with embarrassment even though you ordered them not to.

But Bonnie just smiled, showing you his flawless technique. It left your mouth hanging open - just a little. At least you weren't the only one oohing and aahing. So was half the Pizza Plex. Anxiety stumbled about in your stomach, making your heart jump.

"You ready, Y/N?" The bunny animatronic's eyes were soft and kind, and he held out his hand. You'd come to automatically take it, and this time was no different.

Suddenly Bonnie twirled you into his chest ."You're not the only one who can play confident games." Bonnie whispered in your ear. A tingling sensation zig-zagged down your spine, and you swallowed a squeak of surprise. Although Bonnie was normally an anxious little bean, he had this hidden, assertive side that he pulled out when you least expected it. But you could feel the heat of his metal - he was nervous. While Bonnie was confident on the outside, he was still a worried mess within, and despite how well Bonnie could change his external emotions, you weren't fooled. Maybe, if you did it right, you could take advantage of his skittish nature and win this little game.

"You really thought you were the only one who could entrance a person?" Bonnie's chuckle was godly, "You thought wrong. We're going to do it my way, and my way only. Let's play this game, Rockstar~" You bit your lip. If Bonnie had a heartbeat, you would be able to feel it easily through his metal. He was blushing just as much as you were. It was gonna be a test for both of you. And Bonnie had lost the one with the corset yesterday. You weren't sure he was going to give up this win that easily.

He laid his hand over yours and guided it in the same motions he had previously demonstrated. You let him do it - let him think he'd beat you. But you didn't give him the satisfaction of speech - you stayed silent, just letting Bonnie show you the way.
When you finally rolled the bowling ball, you actually hit the bowling pins. No casualties! You forgot yourself and gasped and beamed, jumping in excitement.

"I DID IT!" You shrieked, but quickly covered your mouth and looked down in embarrassment while Bonnie laughed and slowly clapped.

"You did do it, Y/N." said Bonnie, "I told you you could." But as Bonnie smirked, you felt dread sink into your skin. In your excitement, you'd let Bonnie win. You rolled your eyes, playing it off. Bonnie, unlike you, didn't gloat over his victory. He only loosened his smirk to a smile, the effort of keeping on a confident show weighing down on him, and offered you another bowling ball.

"Wanna play?" He asked, "Really play?"

You took the bowling ball and grinned.

A/N

I'm sorry this was so short, but I wanted to write some of Bonnie and Y/N just working together and also the next chapter is gonna be very long :D