Chapter 5: A New Life

Start from the beginning

Silence. He knocked again, and this time someone answered. It was that quiet girl with the bow. Y/N couldn't remember her name; they hadn't talked at all.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm looking for Yang and Ruby."

She stared at him like an alien before closing the door. Shortly after, Yang answered. "Hey, Y/N! What's up?"

"Was wondering if you guys wanted to walk to class together. Without Vao, because he's currently trying to get a DUI."

Yang nodded. "Yeah, I'll go. Ruby can't come either, though."

That struck Y/N's curiosity. "Is something wrong with Ruby?"

Yang looked back in the room. "... She's sick. One of the teachers told her to take the day off, but..."

"But what?"

Yang looked worried. She glanced back again before stepping out of the room, closing the door behind her. "Let's... Find somewhere quiet, yeah?"

Y/N did not like this. Talking alone never meant anything good. But regardless, he followed Yang down the halls, the herd of students thinning until they were the only ones. And still she kept walking.

They were outside before Y/N knew it. The sun was shining brightly in a cloudless blue sky, and a gentle breeze ruffled his hair. "Yang?" He finally said. "What's wrong with Ruby? Is her fever high?"

Yang shook her head. "No... She's as cold as ice. Last night... She was hunched over the toilet, puking out this weird black goo. It was... Gross."

"Black... Goo...?" Y/N was reminded of the time Ruby was sick before Beacon. Could it be the same stuff?

"Yeah," Yang confirmed. "And it smelled awful. Worse than that one time Uncle Qrow stink bombed your house." She sighed, leaning against the wall. "I'm getting really worried, Y/N. That stuff, it... felt wrong to look at. I think she needs a doctor."

"Then we take her," Y/N said firmly. "Today, when we get the chance."

Yang looked at him, all of her usual goofiness absent in her lilac gaze. "We tried that last night, but she refused. Blake tried to get close, but Ruby bit her. When I tried to say something, she just started screaming at me. Told me to mind my own business and butt out of hers... It kinda hurt, given how close we all were growing up."

Yang seemed genuinely offended - a rare sight, given how she never took anything seriously. Y/N leaned forward. Something she had said caught his attention. "Ruby... Bit someone?"

Yang nodded. "Yeah. She bit Blake's thumb. Didn't you see it when she answered the door?"

"I... Wasn't paying attention."

"There's teeth marks on her hand. You'll have to sneak a peek when we get to class," Yang said. Y/N felt his mind go blank. He looked down at his scroll, distraught evident on his face.

"Y-Yang... We're half an hour late for class..."

...

Jaune followed Vao through the mall, watching as the drunkard took a quiet sip from his flask while his backpack bounced lightly on his shoulders. The blonde looked at his feet nervously, sweat dripping down his forehead. "H-hey, uh..."

Vao turned around. "What?"

"Do you... Maybe want to eat somewhere?"

Vao nodded. "Sure, I know a place my buddy runs. We can go after we're done here."

What exactly they were doing at the mall was beyond Jaune. Vao unexpectedly stopped and refused to elaborate. He didn't seem to be interested in shopping; he passed most of the stores without a second glance, and seemed to have some sort of purpose. Like he was looking for something specific.