Chapter Five

We passed by a ceremony where vows would be taken. But how many would be upheld, I wondered. Taurus followed still, but had yet to say a word until then. As if he knew I imagined myself submerged in the irk bath which flushed me and offered my body to the will of Almat. "The beach skirmish was a success." Your white hair lined the bowl of the irk bath. How you sullied that vow. "A holler would do." His laugh, his vigor breath dragged me from my vision and into what was surely a lift; taking a step upon these sheened, embroidered floors made it truth. I caught the cleft of his armor. When the two curved doors convened to complete this perfect circle, I spoke.

"Tell no one you helped me."

"I swear it." Not good enough. I pressed harder to show how I am no less a warrior.

"Taurus ..."

I felt it took the whole ride up for him to confess: "On Helford's life, Omnix Tetra."

Flattery, the bastard. "Fine. So it is done?"

"Just as you ordered."

"Good." But still, I was unfulfilled. I could not let his flattery linger. "Why do you call me by that title? Do you dare desecrate the memory of Helford in his own House?"

Our momentum came to a halt. He sounded more humored than guilty. "You were born to be Omnix. Everybody sees it, why might I not be the first to declare it?" Damn him, and damn the smile that etched into me.

The two doors parted and a rush of flowing water wind came. The Fountain. Its many mirroring layers I could see casting upon terracotta flagstones where the irk water flowed. Taurus, he offered his hand. I refused; it wouldn't be the first time. But I had mind enough to navigate these stones all my own as I passed along the dressing aperture. The many spiraling rings began to catch my armor plates in many cable latches, undoing my cuirass like servant's hands until I emerged in my Urik alone, the fabric inching into a silver gown. Taurus crossed at my back; in his ripe age, he had started to wear Uriks better than his plate, the way his vestments unraveled. War had made him a legend. Then, a warning blip; some cables grabbed at nothing near my right shoulder. Naked wind assured me I'd hear about this from the Viceroy when she saw the state of my Urik threads. Along with the blips came Taurus.

"She managed a good chunk of your plate. Pity that."

"I will not lie to you: she took her play more seriously to the last breath." Was that a lump I heard gnash his throat?

"Truly a shame." War for so long has made him soft. I've not heard him lapse since he last courted me. Pitiful.

"She's dead, be silent!" My scream burned absolute, yet still you tormented me even in this sacred place.

We're thwacking bamboo poles in the cast of dawn like we've never skipped a beat. Father saw our prowess, that he did. Remember when he bestowed us dull glassblades to use, instead? You were always too quick to feign strikes and would tumble over its give-risking my wrath until I paid it with cuts. Your legwork was the best my father had ever seen; you were the benchmark and I could never escape it! Still. You would learn these blades bite faster than you could pirouette. And how you'd cry. How you cried then, too.

Somebody cupped the water then to splash astray onto my bare feet. It could only be the Viceroy herself. Yes, I figured once Taurus came to a kneel and I followed. Her pious feet crossed the flagstone and cupped my cheeks in both hands. She placed her forehead to mine where our ribbed complexions rubbed together.

I wanted so badly to bat her away.

"Arise, daughter of Fergoth."

"Viceroy Dion," I said. "Honor has been reclaimed upon our crest."