"Instead of here, I was back at Lambda." I spoke, and Yuugo's face creased as he seemed to start connecting the dots. "Leuvis... wanted his rematch," I confirmed for him, averting the worried look in his eyes, "'cause he'd finished the cure. I wanted to come right back here, really! But... he didn't really leave me a choice.

"I fought him, and won, but..." I looked down at where his claw had gotten me. "It was... a close call, to say the least."

I thought I was going to die before I could see you again.

I smiled weakly, looking back up to Yuugo. "That's everything, then. I don't think I left anything important out."

Yuugo rose to his feet, pulling a chair up to my side. "You've been busy, kid."

I nodded slowly. "...yeah."

"How are you?" he asked carefully, forehead creased.

I rubbed the back of my neck. "I'm...alive."

"And?" the older man furthered, linking his fingers together as he rested them on the bed. As I studied his face closer, I could see a few more grey hairs in his scalp. How old was he now? Early thirties, right? Despite the rugged-young look he pulled off, he almost looked older, with the new wrinkles and dark circles under his heavyset brows.

I realized I hadn't answered his question yet, and nodded slowly. "Tired, maybe."

As I said those words, Yuugo nodded, too. Then he reached propped his elbows on my bed and rested his head in his hands. "God, kid." he muttered. "I'm sorry."

I blinked, shifting in my seat a little so I was sitting further upright. "What? Why?"

"I should've stopped you while I could. From making that stupid promise."

"Yuugo," I spoke lowly and softy, "I'm glad I made that promise."

Yuugo lifted his head, meeting my eyes. "How can you say that?" I opened my mouth to speak, but Yuugo wasn't quite done. "Look at yourself!"

My bandaged arms clenched the blanket in my lap. The thousand words in my lungs ran just as dry as my throat.

"When was the last time you took a good, long look at yourself?" the man furthered. "You look worse than I ever have! You can hardly stand to look any of us in the eye! And when you do meet mine, you look like you could break any moment!"

Indeed, I was averting his eyes even now. Yuugo reached up and cupped my cheeks in his hands, and my eyes finally met his. They were dark and heavy with emotion, without being angry.

"That is why I'm sorry." he whispered, shaking me gently, as if to try and get his point through to me. "As the adult, I should've stopped it from happening. I should've stopped you from making the promise in the first place! I should've seen what you were doing to yourself."

Tears brimmed in my eyes now, and I tried to blink them away, breaking away from Yuugo's gaze again.

"I should've seen the signs." Yuugo shook his head, releasing me. "I should've seen the similarities we share. God, I'm so sorry, Y/N."

The tears spilled over my eyes, slipping carefully down my cheeks. "Don't say you're sorry," I sniffled, raising my hands to my eyes. "that's what I'm supposed to be saying right now."

Yuugo pulled me into his chest now, wrapping his arms around me. "You don't have to be sorry to me, kid."

"Yes, I do!" I sobbed, shoulders starting to shake. "I made you carry a heavy burden! It's my fault, so–"

"Yes, it was hard." Yuugo raised a hand to my head while he spoke softly over me. "It was hard for me, knowing that what I was carrying was nothing compared to what you were– and what you have been carrying. And it was hard, not knowing if you were really alive, or if you were okay. But I don't blame you for any of the hard things I went through. So I'm not mad... Maybe a little frustrated in myself, if anything, because I wasn't the sort of person you could confide in...