"The library?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "I read... a lot of books. Most of them were in the demon language, so I learned to read that pretty fast. I started visiting X soon after that, because I think I thought... that maybe if I befriended them, I could figure something out? Or maybe even... you know."

companionship.

"Around that time, I started getting bored, and... well, I learned about the training grounds by the palace, and would spend a lot of time playing around with swords and my knives..."

distraction.

"It's really not that interesting. I didn't...think a lot, I guess. Intentionally, you could say..."

I was avoiding painful thoughts.

"Yeah, I don't remember much, from that first year. Then, I visited X one day, who was like "I want to have a girls' night" which confused the hell out of me, but I ended up going along with it. To do so, I made some friends, like the Cozbi one you met earlier.

"Of course, it turned out she was part of an anti-royal group and was only there to kidnap me and use me as leverage against Sonju and Mujika, but, you know–"

I caught Yuugo's eyes as he blinked. "What?"

"Um... yeah, before that, Leuvis came back to the castle, and he had found out I was still here, and decided he wanted a rematch. Er... Sonju, meaning well, thought it was a good idea, to help get my mind off things. So I started training for that, and then... well, I had my "girls night" with Cozbi and some others; Benny, Aurelia, and a little one named Orion– who are all part of the same group, and a little girl they brought along named...

"Then, well, that night, Cozbi met me outside and had a weapon and said that she needed me to come with her, and myself, in a moment of brilliance, was like "Yeah, seems cool...""

As Yuugo's eyebrow raised, I elaborated further;

"They didn't know I was human, so at the time, I was worried that they might hurt me to take me along, and since I'm human, I wouldn't heal so easily. So I chose to go along..."

Grateful for another distraction, even if I was afraid.

"Anyway, I learned Cozbi's people possessed a special gene that counteracted Mujika's blood, so they were rapidly degenerating. They wanted to use me as a bargaining  chip against Mujika and Sonju, so they could get access to humans, 'cause the previous royals were greedy, and totally would have their own stash, so they thought Mujika would, too."

"And... you went with these demons who wanted humans?"

I nodded. "Er... yes. I went with them until I met their clan and jackass leader. I told them I was human and let them know that there weren't any other humans here. I somehow convinced them to let me find a cure and not kill me. I gave some blood to those who were really close to degenerating, and then we left for Lambda, where I decided they could hide out for the time being.

"Anyways, I wrote a letter to Leuvis, telling him that I would have a rematch with him if he found them a cure. Then, while he was making that cure, I decided to do something a little stupid.

"A while ago, I'd gone through papers on Sonju's desk, all reports about bandit attacks. I'd mapped them out in my mind, and while at Lambda, realized that a base nearby would make perfect sense, 'cause of the time between attacks and their specific locations, and the lack of attacks in areas near their base, I narrowed it down to an approximate spot."

more distractions.

"I spent some time finding its exact location, and then after that, I would raid it for fun. You know, set fire to things, steal armour, release captives... Cozbi and I did this together for some time.