(17)

The week went on predictably, the usual. I managed to completely avoid Liam, and Ben quickly got the message that he wouldn't be able to talk to me about the subject. But I did manage to distract him by bringing Charlie to work. When they finally talked, they were inseparable. The triplets got there revenge on Mark, too. But it's practically impossible for Mark to find out who it was. Dying all the team's football gear pink and sparkly was perfect. And Charlie begrudgingly agreed to let me go to her house and get ready for my date with Ryan.

"I guess you have to learn for yourself." Were her words. Ph. What does she know? She barely knows him. I decided to go for casual dressy, a black loose dress, with stockings and ankle boots. Charlie approved, and I've stashed it all at her house. If I leave in an outfit like that, Josh will kill me. I tiredly collect the empty plates from table eleven, and dump them in the kitchen. I hate Friday night shifts. I'm the only waitress here, and it's always busy. But thank God, it's eleven, and I can finally leave, Katherine is coming to take over the night shift. The joys of working at a twenty four hour diner. I take off my apron, and collect my things in the kitchen. Ben does the same thing, Frank just arrived to do his shift. We leave the diner, and I start to walk down the path, covering my head with my bag, from the rain.

"Gemma, what are you doing?" I turn around to face Ben, and frown.

"Walking home." I answer, confused.

"It's eleven o'clock at night." He says insistently. "Do you have any regard whatsoever for your personal safety?" I almost laugh, he sounds like a protective father.

"Sorry Ben. Josh was going to pick me up, but it's raining, and he just got his car freshly painted." I explain meekly. His expression softens, and he smiles softly. 

"I'll drive you." He says, opening his car door. "Get in." I reluctantly agree, it's raining pretty hard. He starts to drive, and I finally laugh. "What's up?" He asks curiously.

"You act so fatherly." I giggle. "It's nice." He laughs, and taps on the steering wheel. 

"That's because I sort of am one." He says. My eyes widen, and I gasp.

"What?" 

"I was eighteen." He says bashfully. "I was stupid, and the mom was older. When I turn twenty two in a month, my little girl will be three." 

"Aww." I say. "What's her name?"

"Gabriella." He continues. "Gabby. The mother and I are on good terms. She lives in the next town over. I see her all the time. She knew I wasn't ready, she was. She's married, great guy. No hard feeling at all."

"That's great, Ben." I say. "I would love to meet her some time." He smiles and nods.

"Do you think Charlie would be ok with it?" He asks nervously. "I haven't told her yet." 

"I know she'll be fine." I say reassuringly. "She's not one to judge." He grins.

"Great." He says. "Because I really like her." We keep driving in silence for a little bit. "So.." Ben starts carefully. "I heard about your date with Ryan tomorrow night." I sigh.

"Liam can just-"

"No." He cuts off. "Charlie."

"Oh." I say taken aback. "Of course."

"Liam too." He says quickly. "But I'm not judging. Really. Do what you want to do." He pauses. "Just be careful. I hear what he talk about to the other guys working at Kenny's." I nod.

"I'll be fine." I say. "He's really nice."

"OK." He says sighing. "Just keep that in mind." I nod, and smile.