(6)

I smile, as I look in the mirror. Now I admit, my hair is not something to smile at. I've brushed it as much as I can, but my brown/blackish curly hair, is still a monster. I'm smiling, because it's Saturday. I work at Kenny's, all day today. I can forget about yesterday. I can get over it. Who cares about the money. At least I can have some fun today. I chuck on some black tights, canvas shoes, and a button down checkered red shirt. I tie my hair up in a messy bun, and head downstairs. I freeze when I see Josh and Mark, sitting in the kitchen.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, grabbing a water from my bag.

"We're dropping you off at work." Josh says smiling. "We'll pick you up too." I sigh, and nod. As long as they didn't come inside.

"When do you get paid?" Mark asks.

"Every Sunday." I say, cringing. 

"Good." Josh say. "I expect you to hand it over straight away when you get it tomorrow." 

"Aha." I say quickly, just wanting to leave. "I need to go." They nod, and we leave the house. I glance over to the house next to us, but there is no one around. I get in the back, and zone them out. We get to Kenny's. I walk past Josh's window, and before I can pass, he grabs my arm.

"Don't do anything stupid Gemma." He says. I nod, and hurry inside. They drive off, and I breathe a sigh of relief. Freedom.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." I turn around to see Kenny grinning at me, and I laugh.

"Just happy to be here." I say, as he chucks me my apron. I tie it on, and start to wait tables, but it's quite quiet. My stomach grumbles, and I gratefully hand my duties over to Sarah, the other waitress, so I can go eat lunch. I head to the kitchen, and say hello to Frank, the cook. 

"Hey squirt." He says. "The usual?"

"Yes thanks." I slump on the chair at the table, and sigh. He places my tuna melt and rootbeer in front of me, and I hungrily start eating.

"You look exhausted." He says, leaning against the counter.

"I didn't get much sleep last night." I mumble, my mouth full. He chuckles, and goes back to flipping burgers.

"You teenagers." He says. "What do you do these days on Friday nights? Spin the bottle and twerking?" I roll my eyes, and take a sip of soda.

"Something like that." I answer. Frank has to be the most hipster fifty year old I know. For Christmas he got me a beanie that said OBEY. I never wore it. Damn hipsters. 

"Hello slacker." I turn around and blush slightly, when I see Ryan standing behind me in the doorway.

"Hi Ryan." I say, smiling. I've had a bit of a crush on Ryan. He's two years older than me, and he works here for a bit of cash to help pay his rent. He goes to a small photography school in town. He walks in and hugs me from behind. I blush bright red, and I don't notice he's taken half of my tuna melt until he ducks away and chews it. 

"Hey." I yelp. "Get your own." He smiles, and gives me puppy eyes.

"Come on, Gem. For me?" I sigh inside, and nod.

"Go on then." I say. "I have to work anyway." I stand up, and Ryan downs the rest of my soda.

"Love you Gemma." He calls, and I smile to myself, I feel all gooey inside. I go back to waiting tables, and Sarah jumps out at me. 

"There's a couple of hotties sitting in your section." She grins, as she takes off her apron to go get lunch. I look over to see her pointing, and I groan, as I see Liam, Ben, and Nathan. Uh. NO. This is Saturday. A problem free day. I stomp over to them, and go on auto pilot.