Chapter 9

Deception and manipulation.

"McDonalds!" Caitlin growled.

"Nandos." Isabella seethed crossing her arms.

The two best friends stood before one another in the middle of the shopping centre glaring at each other, until they both simultaneously chorused "GBK" and begun laughing as they made their way up to the food floor.

"I feel like we haven't even hung out properly since you came back." Caitlin spoke with regret.

"Hey don't be hard on yourself, you've had exams but now that they're over you're all mine." She playfully bumped her hip against Caitlin's.

"I can't believe you took so long to get a car." Caitlin laughed.

"Hey! I had a lot going on let alone to even buy one I didn't even think about what car to get, and I've got one now better then all of you guys' combined." Isabella exasperated then proudly grinned.

As they entered GBK they quickly placed their orders and took a seat at one of the booths.

Caitlin stared at her best friend who sat before her, Isabella raised her eyebrow at Caitlin "What?" She asked curiously.

Caitlin continued to stare then sighed, "We're best friends you know I'm here for you right? Whenever you need to talk, cry or when you feel angry." Caitlin spoke holding her gaze.

"Cait.." She began but was interrupted.

"No let me finish, I don't know what happened in North Carolina and I'm not going to force it out of you. When you want to tell me I'll be there, whenever you need me I'll be there, I will always be here for you. You don't have to play the strong girl all the time, it's okay to show your emotions. Someone once told me 'You don't have to pretend like everything is okay when it's not, it doesn't do you any good. Climb a mountain shout and scream it all out but don't pretend to be happy."

She smiled at Caitlin's reference of the advice she had given her friend a long ago and mumbled "Smart person."

"So for once take your own advice Elle." Caitlin stated.

Isabella stood up to retrieve their order that was now ready. As she sat down she began playing with the straw in her drink and sighed "Why?" She questioned.

"Why what?" Caitlin asked confusedly.

"Why suddenly bring this up? Did any of the boys put you up to this?" She yawned. Caitlin shook her head and looked down at her lap playing with her fingers nervously. "What is it?" Isabella asked.

"I heard the conversation between you and Ty when you both were at your house, his phone accidentally called me. At first I was going to hang up but then I heard your voice." Caitlin rushed out.

"Lets eat before our food gets cold." Isabella spoke without emotion.

"Ella I..." Caitlin tried. "Cait I think the guy gave you my drink, you ordered sprite right?" She ignored Caitlin and swapped their drinks.

"I don't know what happen, but I know something did. Whatever it was it's changed you and I don't know if it's for the best or not but it'll always be us against the world." Caitlin promised.

"Ella and Cait against the world." Isabella softly laughed at the phrase that they had created when they were younger.

"The almighty battle princesses." Caitlin exclaimed with exaggeration.