Chapter 4

Promises Are Forever.

"I Seriously need to get a car." Isabella muttered to herself as she walked in the rain, she was soaked from head to toe. "Stupid, stupid, London and it's bipolar weather. It's May why is it raining?! I just needed a pair of damn earphones!" She shouted at the sky.

A deep chuckle made Isabella freeze and go into defence mode. She whirled around to find her side of the street empty, until she saw the black car parked on the side with it's engine still running. "You perverted arsehole, who do you think you are?!" Isabella had her mothers temper and right now she was losing it. The car came forward and stopped directly in front of her, and the driver pulled his windows down "Get in." The voice said with a sigh. "Zach?"

One of the things Isabella had definitely not missed was the traffic in London. It's been 15 minutes since she had gotten inside the car but Zach had not uttered a single word to her. With Tyler the silence was a comfortable, whereas with Zach the hostile aura surrounded him making the journey drag out. Isabella stared out, watching the raindrops race against each other on the window. Her teeth chattered from the cold, "Z-Zach." She started but was interrupted. "Look under your seat you'll find a blanket." He said unemotionally. "Zach" she started again but he interrupted again "I've got to make a phone call."

Once Zach finished talking on the phone Isabella tried again. "Zach" she said softly. Zach closed his eyes trying to block her out "Don't" he gritted out.

'BEEP' someone honked behind him, the light had turned green. "Zach just listen to me, just this once. When I'm done and if you still don't want to talk to me I'll leave you alone, I promise." She whispered. Promise.

"AAAAAAAHHHH don't do that it hurts, what's wrong with you?!" Isabella screeched. "Well if you would sit still then it would be over quickly!" Zach exclaimed as he put on disinfectant and bandaged her knuckles. "I swear I'm going to kill him when I see him, no one gets to hurt you and get away with it." He said murderously. "Zach don't. It was my fault I was the one who punched him... without even learning how to punch." She tried reasoning with him whilst mumbling the last part embarrassingly. "Well he shouldn't have pulled a move on you that required him to be punched!" He shouted. "And you're on your last warning with the head, so pleeeeaaaaassseeeee." She pouted. "Alright." Zach sighed. "Hey Zach remember that promise you made in the park?" She asked. "No matter how mad I am, how big the situation is, I'll still love you. You're my sister and that's forever, I promise, why?" He questioned. "Nothing, you saying the promise twice makes it real."

Zach did not spare her a glance, he continued driving until he spoke "Don't promise that, or anything for that matter. It will only get broken." He spoke.

"No Zach, promises are forever. The liability of the promise is only accountable by the one who makes it, once the promise is made, it's made and it can't be taken back even if it's broken. It's still there, just needs to be fixed." She whispered.

Neither of them spoke a word, both were lost deep in their thoughts. "That day I got a call telling me to go to the airport straight away and board the plane with aunt Maisy, He told me that they'll love me forever and always and ended the call before I could say it back, that was their goodbye." She said, in one breath her voice void of any emotion. "Who?" He asked. "Mum and dad."

The car came to a halt, Isabella turned to look at Zach to see why they suddenly stopped. A mixture of shock, hurt and guilt flashed in his eyes "Isabella... Where are Beth and Isaac?" He questioned fearing her answer. "I don't know Zach, I don't know."

As the Ryders residence came into view Zach pulled over cutting off the engine. "Thanks." She sighed. She opened the door and put one foot out but was stopped at the sound of Zach's voice.