Chapter 1

"These schemed against me!" says Herod the Great as the charged men are publicly visible before the Caesarean council. They are Tero (an old soldier of Herod), Tero's son, and Trypho (the royal haircutter). The king, currently in his 60s, now announces the charges against the three. "Tero sought to slay me, the king of the Jews, as his son confessed! Trypho, my barber, has turned traitor against me, attempting to use the razor to slice my throat!"

The accused men tremble before the gray-haired king dressed in rich gold and purple attire. For sure, Herod would order their deaths! "It's all a misunderstanding," says Tero's son.

"Silence!" snaps the so-called king of the Jews. He looks at his audience. There are Roman soldiers close by to protect Herod, the old ruler. He would be sitting, but his ailment won't let him sit down at the moment. He is being supported by his sister Salome and by his eldest son Antipater.

Herod and the family members he trusts are on a high platform inside the hall. Just below are the three indicted, encircled by loyal soldiers of the king. Just lower is the floor of the judgment hall, covered by people who are awaiting the verdict. To think: Herod didn't let his love for his favorite (and Hasmonean) wife, Mariamne, prevent him from killing her when charged with conspiring against his reign. That was at least two decades ago.

"These three are guilty of treason!" yells the old king. "I penalize them to stoning, so see you to it!"

Tero shouts to the people below, "Save us from the king!"

The crowd currently ignores him, despite that he bravely rebuked Herod about what the latter plans to do with his two sons, Alexander and Aristobulus, who were to be Herod's heirs. Besides, the people can't overrule Herod even if they want to. The case of the three men is, alas, hopeless.

So Herod, sovereign of all the Levant, repeats, "See you to it!"

So the Roman combatants surrounding the offenders now lead the struggling men outdoors to face their cruel descent. The crowd follows after, taking wood and stones for the upcoming peltings. "Mercy, my lord!" screams Trypho.

"Help! I don't want to die! Please!" exclaims the son of Tero, a young man.

Antipater, presently by his father's left hand, watches as the doomed party gets yanked away from this chamber. He sighs. "The fools."

Salome turns to her regal brother. "So, are you certain you want to proceed, in the case of Mariamne's sons?" she asks.

Antipater replies for the king. "He must, Salome, sister of my father." He is also determined to bring the plan about. He has set this plan in motion, even if no one else knows his part.

Herod walks ahead, facing the council of people who are still indoors. "My resolve is firm. What I have in mind for Alexander and Aristobulus—my would-be heirs—shall be done!"

The people try to hide their shock and their sorrow.

Herod now turns to his soldiers. "We will now be heading for Sebaste."

"Sebaste? That's some miles away," expresses a Roman soldier.

"Right, Sebaste," affirms the old king. "We will accomplish the deed there concerning the lads."

Alexander crumples. Ropes stifle his neck. His eyes shut, his body tilts forward, and his head bows. Then the executioner lightens his grip and finally drops the hold, letting Alexander (sentenced to death by his old father) fall on the base.

Aristobulus is the second to perish, also strangled by an executioner, who was only following orders. He also gets loosed and drops.

Both princes perish publicly in the open court in Sebaste, a Samaritan city. Antipater, their eldest brother, looks at the killings of his half-brother approvingly. Now he would be the heir of Herod, with them out of the way.