Wild-Eyed Wolf

Sarah woke up tied to a creaky chair and looked up at a wild-eyed Nya.

"Ah, you're finally awake I see. It is a wonder Grant chose you over me. What with you lazing about." Nya laughed in her own amusement.

Despite Sarah's anger at her discomfort, she felt sympathy for Nya and the loss of what was supposed to be her deepest love. Sarah herself felt that way only weeks ago. "Nya, I am sorry for everything that came to pass. Can you really wish to harm me? Can you not understand that he and I have had a connection for over a decade?"

"We would have had a connection for the rest of our lives!" Nya spat back. "No, we need only wait for my father to arrive to help me get rid of you. Then after a period of mourning, Grant will give me a new mark and erase your ridiculous bond."

Sarah realized that Nya would not be coerced and decided to remain silent. Meanwhile, back at the pack house Grant was enraged.

"Have you looked everywhere? I can't feel her, I can't smell her, she could be unconscious. Where the hell is she?" Grant all but roared at Scott.

"We have Alpha." Scott attempted to soothe the beast, "We all love our Luna and want her safely here with you."

***

The next day brought no answers to the Elk Ridge Alpha, it was getting dark and Grant was resting at his desk with his head in his hands when his phone rang.

"Hello," he said absently.

"Alpha Grant Pierce, this is the Alpha from Nya's pack. I wanted to alert you that both Nya and her father are missing. One of Nya's friends within our pack shared that Nya was planning revenge against you and your chosen mate."

"Yes, she has been taken already. Do you have any idea where they might be?" Grant said through gritted teeth.

"No, but I would imagine somewhere in the woods between our two packs. Perhaps if you have any older cabins that aren't in use. Nya refuses to sleep on the ground."

"Thank you, we will review a map of our territory at once."

Grant disconnected the call and Scott entered the office a second later having heard a mind-link from Grant.

"Nya must have her, lets move to the conference room and review locations of any older cabins that aren't in use."

Sarah felt beyond tired to the point where she wondered if she had a true head injury or if Nya had drugged her. She was hungry and was ashamed to say she had relieved her bladder on herself overnight. She had hoped Grant would have been able to track her somehow either through scent or the pack-link but there had been no answer to her calls.

Nya was still sleeping on an old couch and Sarah tried to slowly scoot herself to a rusty nail sticking out of the wall. She just got her wrists next to it and began frantically working to cut her bonds. Several times the nail cut into her skin and she gritted her teeth to keep her tears from blurring her vision.

Suddenly the rope cut free, and Sarah quickly untied her legs. She slowly crept out of the creaking cabin and began to run as fast as she was able in wolf form. Fearing Nya would be close behind her she avoided howling for help. Sarah was always the fastest wolf, but she was weary and her muscles stiff. She soon heard Nya's howl and quickened her pace, she looked around to gain her bearings and looked back straight into the eyes of a growling wolf.

This must be Nya's father.

The male wolf eyed her and the look in his eyes told her he was there to kill her.

Sarah darted off to the right and focused on the ground at her feet. She could feel him gaining ground quickly but before he could leap to bite her leg another blur barreled into the male wolf causing him to whine.

Sarah kept running and didn't lose focus. Her mind was not her own anymore. She kept running until her lungs burned. Finally slowing she staggered through a patch of trees and looked up to see the pack house. She made it an additional 10 feet before collapsing in exhaustion.