Two More Years

The newly appointed Beta Scott began his reign by encouraging Grant to go on pack tours while waiting for his birthday ball to be rescheduled. "Even if you don't find your mate you can establish relationships with other Alpha's and gauge how likely they are to be a threat. You might get some more insight into the rogue situation as well. At least go to the nearest 3 packs."

Grant nodded in agreement. "Make the arrangements."

The night before his departure, Scott gave Grant a word of advice, "be open minded when you go. You don't want to offend anyone by avoiding the mate issue. The packs will expect you to socialize with their females."

Grant frowned at him, "what do you mean avoiding the mate issue?"

Scott said with exasperation, "I'm sorry to break it to you but it's obvious you want Sarah for your mate. We won't find out for two more years, but you need to come to terms with the fact that the odds are likely that it is someone else. If finding them faster makes you a stronger Alpha two years earlier, well then that is what's best for the pack."

Grant sighed, "If Sarah isn't my mate when she turns 18, I plan to make her my chosen mate over waiting for a true mate." Grant raised an eyebrow awaiting Scott's response.

"As your beta I have to remind you that you cannot produce an Alpha heir with a chosen mate. We will lose the pack if you choose Sarah. You would regret it." Scott said with a grimace.

"Well let's hope the moon goddess gives me the right mate in 2 years then," Grant stormed out of the office, slamming the door behind him.

By the time Grant returned from his pack tour, the ball to celebrate his ascension and birthday was weeks away. The anxiety over possibly finding a mate who was not Sarah had worn him down. While he was gone, Sarah had chuckled to herself the irony of sending invitations to other females who would steal the man she loved. Yes, she loved him but hadn't confessed it to anyone. While everyone assumed her love, Sarah had to keep that secret to herself. Both for her own pride and to protect her heart. She was terrified of the day she would turn 18 as they would find out immediately if she belonged with Grant. She was well aware of the reasons they couldn't be together if she wasn't. Firstly, she longed for pups of her own. Secondly, the pack that she had come to love would dissolve.

When the evening of the ball finally came, Sarah did end up going in order to greet the guests she had invited as interim-Luna. A title she despised for its constant reminder of her impending unhappiness. Her dress was a backless emerald-green floor length gown with a sweetheart neckline and halter straps. When all the guests were inside, she snuck away to the Luna's office to enjoy a moment of quiet. She looked out the window as Luna Helen had often done and enjoyed the way the grass danced in the breeze in the evening light.

The door opened and Grant peeked in, "I wondered if I would catch you in here." He entered the room and closed the door. "Everything looks wonderful downstairs, thank you for helping arrange it."

"Mm hmm." Sarah replied, returning to stare out of the window.

"You look beautiful tonight." Grant whispered as he had moved close enough to stroke her bare back with his fingertips.

Sarah let out a soft moan and arched away from his electric touch. "What are you doing Grant? This is crossing that line that we don't speak of."

"I can't help it, Sarah. My entire life I can remember I have felt connected to you. I have always needed you nearby. I've met so many other females over the past month as well as tonight and none of them are my mate. It's you. I know it's you."

Sarah cried quietly at his words, "I can only continue to help you with a clear head for the next couple of years if you do not pursue me this way. Would you make me love you only to break my heart when you find out I'm not her? Please, Grant think about what we'd be risking, think of the pack."

He knew her words were true and came with greatfear. Before he had a chance to say anything she declared, "I will not hurtthis pack's future or my own. Let us see in two years if we are fortunate." Andshe left to rejoin the party.