Chapter twenty six

Chapter twenty six

Marcus' POV

I looked around me at the bloodbath that I was in the middle of. We were losing wolves, and fast. I spun around and snapped the neck of a grey wolf who had attempted to attack me while I was off guard.

I looked down and the person I had just killed and exploded with rage when I saw a boy who looked to be 13 lying in front of me. An ear piercing howl split the air and I managed to drag me eyes away from the corpse of the boy to see who it was.

Much to my horror I saw a wolf snapping at Cindy's dad. Another wolf was circling around him. He fought to dodge the wolfs attacks but in a split second the wolf had latched on to Simon. On instinct I ran towards him, predicting what was going to happen next. The circling wolf snarled at me as I approached and then, when Simon was off guard, the wolf bit down on his neck.

Simon let out a howl and I leaped into the air and I quickly ended the attacking wolf's life. I tore the other wolf off him and Simon shifted back into his human form. Another two nursing wolves from our pack ran over and pick him up on a stretcher. He looked at me and I saw tears starting to form in his eyes.

"I'm sorry," he whispered hoarsely before he was carried away back towards the house. I turned around and spotted hunter standing about ten meters away with his back to me. My eyes narrowed and I ran up behind him taking this chance to attack him.

When I was a couple of meters away I leapt into the air and bared my teeth. I bit down hard on his rump and he yelped and turned around. I took a few steps back and growled. We circled for a few seconds before he bounded towards me and attempted to bite my back leg. I darted out of the way and managed to get a bite on his shoulder. He whipped around and slashed at my body.

A line of sticky red blood oozed out of the gash Hunter had just created and clotted in my fur. He snarled and then tackled me to the ground. He tried to snap at my face but i quickly rolled over and jumped away. He stared in confusion at the empty ground below him where just a second ago I was lying.

'This is my chance!' I thought to myself. I dashed towards him and bit down hard just below his neck before I pinned him to the ground.

I bared my teeth at him and he shifted back into his human form. He was sweating profusely and dark red blood trickled steadily out of his wounds. Purple bruises formed on his body and he stared at me with fear in eyes.

The whole battlefield went silent as the re,wining wolves turned towards me.

I grinned inside knowing that we had  won. The thing he did next shocked me to the core. He didn't beg for mercy. He laughed.

"I bet you thought you won don't know Marcus," he asked. I stared at him in confusion.

"Oh come on I thought you were smart!" He laughed,

"You honestly didn't think it would be that easy did you?" He smiled before he turned his head to the left, looking at something in the distance. I followed his eyes until I stopped and stared in horror at what he was looking at.

Avalon's mum knelt on the grass, her eyes glossy and petrified as the barrel of a gun rested against her temple, held to her head by Hunter's beta. I can't believe I didn't realize it earlier I thought to myself. I had been wondering why Hunter's beta wasn't with him at the start of the battle and I had never thought about why.

"Now Marcus I would appreciate it if you got off me and went to stand over there," he said with fake sweetness in his voice.

I growled but did what he said. I couldn't risk the safety of Avalon's mum.

"Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way," he grinned, "you give up Avalon and nobody gets hurt."

"Or you be the stubborn brat you always have been and she gets it," he said gesturing towards Avalon's mum."

The next few seconds went by agonizingly slowly as the two options went whirring though my mind.

My train of thought was interrupted abruptly by Kyle's voice.

"Speak of the devil," he started and he smiled at someone behind me.

A familiar sense of dread consumed me as I turned around and was met with the worried eyes of Avalon.

"Mum," she choked as she raced towards her. I caught her arm before she could pass me and and shook my head. I could see glints of purple in her tear laden eyes as her wolf fought for dominance.

"So what's it going to be Marcus?" He asked.

I looked between the both of them with desperation in my eyes. There was no way I could chose between them.

"Marcus run while you still can, don't worry about me! Just save Ava," Avalon's mum pleaded.

"Shut up, you stupid bitch," Hunter's beta growled.

"Well it looks like you've chosen," Hunter smirked as he nodded towards his beta.

A twisted smile broke out onto Hunter's beta's face as he clicked the safety off the pistol. I felt Avalon collapse at my side, a heart wrenching screen ripping from her throat.

Hunter just stared at us wickedly as his beta prepared to shoot.

"Three..two," Hunter counted. "On-"

**********************************************************************************