Chapter nine

Chapter Nine

I decided to go home after the cafeteria blowup, school seemed too pointless for me to care. I arrived home and flung open the front door grumpily announcing my presence. Mum walked in looking confused, but let me off when I told her why I was back so early.

I trudged up the stairs and threw myself onto my bed. Now I just had to wait for Sam. Glancing over at the window, I was surprised yet excited to see the grey wolf standing at the edge of the forest partially covered by the pine trees. I sat up abruptly and ran over to look at him. Now I really wanted to know who it was.

I was interrupted by a knock on the door. There Sam stood panting and out of breath.

"Sam what are you doing here so early?" I exclaimed while she placed her bag down and collapsed onto my armchair. I peered over at the window, but the wolf had disappeared, faded into oblivion like he was never there at all.

"Hello?" Sam said, now standing next to me waving a hand in front of my face. "Were you even listening to me?"

"Um sorry, I got a little sidetracked," I replied sheepishly.

"Anyway, as I was saying, I came here as soon as possible. I wasn't going to stay at school without you," she said beaming at me, "plus I wanted to know where the hell all that come from?"

"I don't know... I just felt kind of protective of him for some reason. Don't ask me why," I said nervously while looking around the room. When I saw that her mouth was hanging wide open I panicked.

"It meant nothing Sam, plus I've had it up to here with Cindy this week," I gushed while turning around and sitting down at my vanity. From her reflection in the mirror I saw that Sam was unconvinced.

"I think someone has found their mate," she said in a sing song voice.

"Like hell I have," I retorted, but somewhere deep in my heart I hoped that it was true.

"You know I'm right, you're just embarrassed," she said knowingly while walking over. I pulled out my hair tie and my hair tumbled down in a tangled brown mess. I pulled a hairbrush through it quickly before I grabbing my bag.

"We're going shopping," I announced as I grabbed her hand and whisked her out the door.

******

Later that night, after Sam had gone home, I sat with my mum on the couch and she gave me the rundown on my first transformation.

"Your wolf will guide you," she said while holding my hands in hers. Seeing my worried expression she said "You'll be alright."

I nodded slowly before getting up.

"Hurry along now, the moon will be at its brightest soon." She said ushering me out towards the back door.

"But wait," I said quizzically, "I have to go out the front to get to the forest."

"There's a gate around the back," she said grabbing my hand and leading me outside.

I rolled my eyes, she could have told me that earlier.

"C'mon quickly now," she said as she opened a well hidden gate around the back of the pool shed.

I hugged her tightly taking a deep breath before stepping outside into the unknown.

******

I arrived at the lake just as the silvery full moon appeared above me. I felt an orb of energy form inside me expanding and filling me up with some sort of supernatural power. It was at that moment when the moon was at its brightest that the change began.