Chapter sixteen

Chapter sixteen

My bare feet pounded the cold pavement as I ran towards the alpha's house. My mind was a mixture of jumbled thoughts and raw emotion and when I arrived there I didn't even press the intercom I just climbed straight over the gate.The ominous feeling that I was being hunted made me feel as if a thousand tiny bugs were crawling beneath my skin. Sprinting up the driveway and I pounded furiously on the door. The alpha opened it a little, cautious at first, before he saw that it was me and opened it wider. He stood still, wearing a navy dressing gown, with a shocked expression on his face. I pushed past him not waiting for an invitation to come in, and ran towards the lounge.

Throwing myself down onto a nearby couch I put my head in my hand began to cry again. I felt the couch dip beside me I looked up at Alpha Michael, tears blurring my vision.

"Th-they took her," I cried as he stared down at me with a concerned look on his face.

"Who?" Alpha Michael asked worriedly. Before I could answer, I was cut off by the sound of heavy footsteps.

"Hey dad, I thought I heard.." Marcus called out. When he noticed me, his face visibly paled and he stopped dead.

"Ava?!" He whispered hoarsely, before he ran over and sat down next to me. Burying my head in his chest I let his comforting hands stroke my hair.

"What happened?" He said as he turned my chin up to look at him.

"He took my Mum. Kyle took her." I whispered hoarsely.

"He did what," he shouted. I watched his facial expression contort into one of rage before he suppressed his anger and urged me to continue.

"When?" He asked in a gentler voice. I sat up straight leaning into Marcus' chest,my eyes fixated on a particular dark spot on the carpet as I drew out the painful memories of my recent ordeal.

Then Marcus stood up and started to pace around the room. His eyes were obsidian black and his hands were clenched by his sides. He turned towards his dad.

"Why the hell is he doing this?" he fumed, "What has Avalon ever done to him?"

"I don't know but we're going to find out," Alpha Michael replied gravely, standing up and placing a firm hand on Marcus' shoulder.

"As for now though, Avalon's house is no longer safe for her," Alpha Michael began.

"You will be staying here for tonight." He said turning towards me. I nodded slowly and Marcus walked over and took my hand. I was too drained to even show any signs of emotion.

"I'll show you to your room," he said softly, ushering me toward the stairs.

He led me up a flight of stairs and down the hallway. He opened a lilac painted door and ushered me inside while turning on the light. As I was walking in, he grabbed my arm and gently pulled me towards him. He placed a soft kiss on my lips, not a passionate kiss but just enough to show me that he cared for me.

"Goodnight," I whispered before closing the door behind me. Sliding under the soft white duvet, I melted into the plush mattress and let my body unwind. My eyelids grew heavier and sooner than I had expected I found myself drifting off into a deep and dreamless sleep.