Chapter 6. BLINDSIGHTED.

EDITH WOKE TO THE SHUFFLE OF FOOTSTEPS, CLANKING AND BARKING LAUGHTER OUTSIDE HER DOOR. Today was Day 1 of training, and Cade and Woof had seemingly forgotten how terrifying that was. One day closer to her funeral. But she knew not to storm out there at 7am, demanding they stop finding positivity in the shitty situation they were left in. If they had found something to laugh at, then she can drown them out with a hot shower.

Clank!

What were they doing!? Trashing the place? More power to them.

In the suite, the technology was beyond her of course. Besides the metal plate remote that ordered steamy dishes at your desire, or buttons on the window pane that could change your view of the Capitol skyline to an ocean; she was extremely baffled the first time she came across it all. And now Edith was actually trying the multitude of technicolour buttons on the shower interface instead of the tap - she was swept off her feet.

One button lead to rose scented foam, another to a body butter that smelt of caramel. Edith found herself trying them all out. If the Capitol wasn't going to give the Districts more water, she could at least drain the Tribute Centre's waterbill.

Stepping out, a red button she ignored the night before sent jets of warm air, drying her instantaneously. Another button scented her with the fresh smell of gardenia.

Edith peered at her reflection. The same orphan girl in the cream button up and pinafore stared at her, but she knew the purple edges of her eyes, Capitol pajamas, the scabbing on her lip and skin ripped from the edges of her nails were telling a different story. At least she had gained some weight. Well not really. Her stomach was appearing rounder than before, but her hair wasn't greasy anymore. It was fluffy and flowed down her shoulders, dried effortlessly by the jets.

She didn't know what she expected to see. She hadn't become a monster yet, nor a saviour. She was just a stupid little girl.

Walking back into her room in a dressing gown of soft, cream coloured fuzz, Edith was met with her training outfit. Black, tight pants with an olive green stripe up the sides. The t-shirt was of a breathable and stretchy nylon with a button up collar that clung tightly to her chest. Similar to the pants, it was black with a large green stripe appearing on the front of it. On the back neatly sewed was the number 8.

Edith couldn't stop herself from goggling at how the material hugged her curves, she was surprised at how they sculpted her body, but she scrunched up her nose at the sight.

Sliding on the leather, bumpy soled shoes, she made her first steps into the fray that was the 8 suite. Woof and Cade had seemed to have started sword fighting with metal poles they took from the sculpture in the foyer, knocked over a coffee table, and were currently being scolded by a cranky Candy in the foyer. Edith found a smile tugging at her lips when she saw Cecelia smirking at the scene.

"Woof was trying to cheer him up, Cade wasn't feeling the best this morning, I won't go into it," Cecelia hummed into her coffee mug. Edith pulled up a seat not questioning her mentor and started piling bacon, a strange pitted fruit named "avocado" and a poached egg onto a piece of uniformly cooked toast.

"Right," Edith paused, sensing that Cecelia was brushing over it for a reason, "So what's the plan for training?"

Cecelia straightened, pulling up a chair, "It starts at 9am, for the first hour you will go through a briefing and tour. Then you will split into groups, to do mandated activities, it's standard protocol. They will pair you up with someone your age within that group so that might be an option for an ally. Then lunch for an hour. Then you are free to train whatever from 1 till 4."

"Sounds straightforward. What type of training-" Edith began before Cade scraped a chair back and thumped down into the seat. He was still smiling and chatting with Woof and it made Edith itch.