𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 4

Fitz P.O.V

Fitz lay across his bed, desperately trying to transmit to Sophie.

Sophie. Sophie, can you hear me? Sophie.

He'd been repeating the same phrase over and over for the last 2 hours.

"It's no use," Tam told him from the shadows.

Fitz rolled his eyes. "Well, it's not like you guys are doing anything to help."

"Hey!" Dex said from the other side of the room, "I'm over here trying to tweak this spyball so that it can see anyone, even if they don't have their pendant on!"

"And where has that gotten you?" Fitz asked, sitting up.

"Well, I don't see where transmitting has gotten you anywhere!" Biana interjected.

"At least I have a useful ability! All you can do is disappear! And don't even get me started on Tam and Keefe!" Fitz snapped back.

"Fitz, when did I ask to get involved in your rage fest!? No wonder Sophie felt like running away when you yelled at her!" Tam yelled.

"You wanna talk about Sophie!? HOW ABOUT THE FACT THAT SHE GOT KIDNAPPED BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T GET THROUGH THE FORCEFIELD??!!" Fitz shouted.

Keefe's jaw dropped. "You didn't just say that! Just because you're failing, doesn't mean you get to take it out on us! And need I remind you how many times you've failed to protect her?!" 

Fitz grit his teeth. "Says the one who joined the Neverseen!"

Keefe's fists clenched so hard his veins popped. Suddenly, Fitz and the rest of his friends were drenched in water. Everyone looked at a very angry Linh.

"Will you guys just stop already!? If you want to talk about Sophie, let's talk. Do you know what she would say if she were right here? She would beg you to stop fighting because it's getting us nowhere. Not to mention, what if these are the last words we say to each other?" Linh asked, fuming.

Fitz opened his mouth to respond but was cut off by a soft and weak voice in his head.

Sing swan, spring swan. Then let's fly, follow the pretty bird across the sky...

Call swan, fall swan, then let's rest, tucked in the branches of your quiet nest.

Fitz's eyes went wide with realization. The others must've heard it too because they shot up.

"FITZ! TRY TO TRANSMIT TO HER!" Dex demanded

Sophie? He transmitted.

No answer.

Sophie? He transmitted louder.

Still no answer.

SOPHIE!? He transmitted, his mental voice screaming. 

Silence.

The door to his room burst open, and Fitz's head swung around to find Mr. Forkle, Grady and Edaline, his dad, the Collective, and the Council standing in the doorway in a fury of panic.

"Sophie called Swan Song," Keefe told them.

"We know. Ms. Foster transmitted it to all of us. " Councillor Emery responded, rubbing his temples.

"We have to find her," Tam demanded.

"And find her we will. But keep in mind, the Neverseen are unpredictable, and they will do anything to get what they want." Mr. Forkle agreed.

"Why can't they just leave Sophie alone, for stars stake?" Keefe muttered under his breath.

"They want Sophie's power," Alden replied choking on his words slightly.

Fitz buried his head in his hands. "She could be dead for all we know."

His dad took his hand. "We just have to trust that she's okay."

"She called SWAN SONG! Of course she's not okay!" Fitz argued, jerking out of his grip.

"I agree with Fitz. We need to find Sophie. Fast." Biana noted.

Mr. Forkle pinched the bridge of his nose. "We can't just barge in and expect them to give Ms. Foster back."

"And do what? Plan? Where has planning gotten us in the past?" Tam argued.

Fitz's dad sighed. "Tam has a point. Plans can take up to weeks."

 "We could announce Sophie's disappearance to the Lost Cities and hire search parties," Councillor Emery suggested.

Grady and Edaline nodded. "What do we have to lose?" Grady said through a sigh.

Fitz bit his lip. "When are you going to announce the news?"

"Today." Councillor Oralie spoke up.

Fitz's eyes went wide. "Today? What time?"

Councillor Emery glanced at the other 11 Councillors, then rubbed his temples as if he were having a telepathic conversation. 

2 minutes passed before Fitz decided he'd waited long enough.

"Well?" He asked impatiently.

Councillor Emery held up a finger as if he were telling him to wait a second.

Another 2 minutes passed before Councillor Emery released his fingers from his temples.

"Tonight, at 5:00." He announced.

Fitz nodded. And with that, everyone left.

A/N Okay... I'm so excited for the next chapter! Yall are going to love it! Reach out to me or comment if you have any suggestions!