Chapter 27 - Imperfectly Perfect

Here it is! Chapter 27. Nice long chapter for you all! Thanks for waiting every body whilst I polished it up. I hope you enjoy it and find it worth while after the tension I left you with in the last chapter!

Please don't forget to hit the little star if you enjoy my stories and keep returning. I love to see you here and read your comments. Thank you!!

Lovelovelove!

............................

I watched every second tick away until 8:30 arrived. It seemed to drag and yet when the minute hand hit the six, it was if it happened all at once. Our moment against the hardbacks between the aisles had allowed my parched lips a taste of him, So quenching was the taste that it left me wondering how I'd managed a month without him. Every now and then, Alan's mysterious rich aroma would dance about my collar, alluring and heady making me loose sense of any rational thinking. It made me feel as if I'd jump in his Mercedes and kiss his feet at the drop of a hat, being the passive mush his very presence reduces me to.

I try and shake the feelings, pushing my fingers back through my hair and tethering my feet back to planet earth, remembering that this man hurt me, kept secrets from me... If I was going to see him tonight, I was going to make sure I came away with an answer. I deserved it, to be told the truth about this deceitfully constructed triangle I was unwillingly apart of.

I leave my new work place, 'One More Chapter' to a pleasant summer breeze which grazes the hem of my skirt - the kind which a hot sunny day leaves behind once the sun sets. It cools my skin that's flushed with anticipation locating his car in the dusky street. I spot it parked outside an office building and walk towards it with my heart in my throat. A simple hi is all that's exchanged when I sink into the leather, no kiss on the cheek, but his slight smile indicates he's pleased I came.

"We can drive somewhere else if you like," he offers.

"Here is fine." My eyes fix on smoothing out my skirt on my lap rather than him. I'm afraid that if I do, I'll fall helplessly into his pools of amber.

Alan asks how I am in general. We speak briefly about my new work place before he quits the small talk and gets to it.

"I have no doubt what you saw that night between Lizzy and I was unsettling, but it's been completely misconstrued."

"You had your hands all over her Alan." There is zero emotion in my voice, as if I were reading a bullet point list. "She had her hands on you too that night. You admitted the two of you had a thing together. I asked you before this ever happened if the things in your apartment belonged to an ex... I was right. I had every reason to be suspicious and you acted as if I were the sneaky one. I knew there was someone else."

"I never denied those things in my apartment belonged to an ex."

"By the way Lizzy was talking, the two of you sound as if you're still involved."

"Well like I said, things have been completely misconstrued. You ran off that night. I didn't get the chance to explain what you saw. There is nothing going on between Lizzy and I, not anymore, and certainly not since you and I started seeing one another."

"That night in the parking lot...she said you weren't 'supposed to get serious with other people' - people like me. I heard her. You know, I used to think things were complicated between us, but they weren't, not really. It was simple - I was second best - the rebound girl at your beck and call - the foolish one that you could manipulate and mould into your lifestyle." I laugh to disguise my cry. "Maybe you were right - young and foolish in love, isn't that what they say?"