We're Only Friends, Right?

Joel's POV

I was sitting in my gaming chair playing Minecraft when my phone buzzed. It was Lizzie! I picked up my phone and scrolled through my notifications.

Lizzie:
Hey
How is ur studying going

Me:
I haven't started yet

Lizzie:
Ugh
Typical
Lets go to the cafe down the street of our school
I can help with ur homework

Me:
Really?
Sure.

Lizzie:
Seeya

I grinned, I knew I shouldn't enjoy spending time with Lizzie so much, but I sort of enjoy our endless bantering.

At the Cafe

I spotted Lizzie the second she walked through the doors, her pink hair was easy to spot. She walked over and sat down.

"Hey." Lizzie said.

"Hi, I brought my homework." I reached into my backpack.

Lizzie's POV

I knew he didn't have his work done, sigh, typical Joel. As he dug in his bag, I shifted my legs. When I crossed my ankles, my knee brushed against his. I stiffed, blushing. How stupid was this? Blushing at every contact with a slightly attractive guy, it was like having a 5th grade crush all over again. Joel sat up pushing a notebook across the table.

"Here, I still can't figure out the exponential growth rate in this problem." He sighed running his fingers through his hair. A strand of brown hair fell in front of his eyes, instinctively I reached up and brushed it away. He froze, his eyes stared at me. I flushed, why, why did I have to do that?! What stupid part of me decided to do that.

"I'm, um, uh, I-" I tried to explain but found myself at a loss for words. I just stared into my lap.

"Its fine." Joel said breathlessly. I looked up, he was facing the window. I couldn't believe it, there was a faint blush along his cheeks. I pulled the math book towards me and resumed awkwardly tutoring.

Joel's POV

My face felt like it was on fire, Lizzie was at the counter ordering something. My heart was racing, I couldn't stop replaying the moment in my head. I felt the brush of her fingers against my cheek before she drew away, face as pink as her hair. I groaned burying my face in my hands, I can't keep fantasizing about a ridiculously pretty girl. We're only friends, right?