☬ Chapter 4

☬ Chapter 4

✰ 3 Days later ✰

"Right. Does everyone know what we are going to do when battle occurs?" Leader glanced down at them, narrowing his eyes.

"Yes. We all do. Don't we?" Beta replied, sitting tall and proud.

"Before we start fighting, I have an announcement." He completely ignored Beta, Stem squinted in cringe as he saw her expression.

"I am retiring. I am too old to manage." He looked sharply at them, then sighed, his eyes softening. "I am so proud of all of you."

"Okay then." Beta stepped up, resting her tail on Leader's shoulder. "You will be taken care of in the seniors' den. But we can no longer follow your instructions as a leader." She looked at Leader, smiling. How happy she must be if she's going to be Leader. I should be the next Beta.

Stem grunted, stepping backwards to rage quietly.

"I will appoint a new Beta now, since I am officially Leader." She watched as Branch stepped down, his expression worried. Did he regret doing this? He watched as the old dragon slumped backwards. "Please step up if you think you can uphold the harsh, difficult job of being Beta." She stood up, taking a step forward, looking at the three dragons.

My best friend Hurl, the cranky dragon Maple, and me. The best fit. Stem saw the former leader; Branch eyeing Maple warily. He doesn't want Maple to be Beta. That's good. That old slut has some sense.

"I have chosen the next Beta." Leaf announced, waving her tail to shush the excited murmurs. "The next Beta will be..." She took a deep breath. "Maple."

"No. She cannot be." Branch stepped forward, starting at Leaf. His eyes were swirled with dust, as if he were coming back from the dead.

"And why is that, Branch?" She leaned forward, staring furiously at the former Leader., "Branch, who is the leader here?" Leaf snapped. "And who do you think you are, complaining to the Leader. If you don't like it here," She continued, not aware of the words she's spoken, "you can leave for all I care!" She finished, taking a deep breath. Jaws hanged open; dragons started shifting. Even if he's not Leader, he's our oldest dragon. Even Leaf should look up to him. "I've made my choice. Maple. Unless you have changed your mind, you are the newest Beta of ForestWing!" She announced.

"Thank you, Leaf." Malpe replied smugly, purposely calling the Leader Leaf.

If it were any other dragon, she wouldo claw their ears off. This is straight up disrespect! Stem sighed roughly.

"You're welcome. You'd been working hard all your life. It's time to work harder." Leaf- now the Leader replied with a toxic smile.

This is not working! I can't believe the two worst dragons would work together to rule this tribe!

"No. I cannot live with this. I am going to find a new home." Stem found himself staring like all the other dragons, his eyes narrowing at the thought of moving. "Follow me, if you want to go. We leave now." The former Leader- Branch spoke quietly.

As Stem watched Hurl, Cripple and Fall slowly pad towards him, Stem took a pace forward, but shrunk back at Leader's blood curdling scream. "No! You did not just retire to rule a different kingdom." The current Leader- Leaf hissed. "Marsh, Maple, bring them the spare den!" She growled, stretching her talons out, "they are now our prisoners until further notice!" She finished, revealing a grim smile. "Stem, go hunting with Vine. You immature dragons can't know this." She spat, smiling triumph.

"No!" Vine and Stem both lashed out. "You can't tell me to do this. We deserve to know." Vine erupted, as if she were tossing lava across the globe.

"Go." She stepped forward, swiping a claw at Vine. She watched grimly as thick, red blood traveled down her mouth.

"Oh my GOD!" Marsh screamed, running up to touch Vine's bloody snout. "Leader, I know you're always right, but to this mesure? No no no..." She murmured, her tail flicking worriedly.

"GO HUNTING NOW!" Leader yowled, scratching Stem now, on his foot. "And you, Marsh. You need to choose where your loyalties lie." She snapped.

✡ A day later... ✡

"Shh, follow me." Stem crouched, licking his tail towards the entrance of the cave. The stars lit up the cave, the area as silent as ever could be. Even though Stem was risking this to help, his eyes still flickered with uncertainty, still wondering whether he should turn them in. If I do, I'm sure Leaf would like me more. But if I don't...

"We risk being caught?" The former leader smiled, tucking his wings underneath his flank. "But we would live in freedom, and happiness." Branch paused, slowing down to let Stem lead again.

How does he know what I'm thinking? I guess he's right. Let's sneak out.