Guilt and Secrets

Hitoshi pushed his food around on his plate, and then leaned back in his chair with a sigh. His parents glanced at him in worry.

"Hitoshi, dear." His mom, Aiya Suzuki, said after a few minutes of silence. "Is there something wrong? Are kids bothering you at school again?"

"No." Hitoshi replied softly, refusing to meet his parents eyes. 

"Then what is it? There is something bothering you." His dad, Minato Suzuki, prompted his son.

"It's just...I'm worried about my friend." Hitoshi finally admitted. Ever since he left Izuku at his house earlier that day he had been having a very bad feeling about it. He couldn't wait until tomorrow so that he would be able to see if he was okay. 

"Oh! Is is that same friend that you've been telling us about these last few weeks?" His mom exclaimed, stars in her eyes. "You need to bring him over sometime, Hito! I would just love to meet him!"

"I was going to bring him over today, but he was...busy." Hitoshi murmured softly, continuing to push his food around.

"Are you sure there's nothing wrong?" His dad asked him with concern. "You've barely touched your food."

"Are you getting sick?" His mom asked worriedly, reaching over to feel his forehead.

Hitoshi immediately swatted her hand away and let out a huff of annoyance. "No, mom. I'm fine! I think I'm just tired."

"Okay, if you're sure." His mom leaned back. "Why don't you go to bed early then? I'm sure you'll feel better after a good nights sleep."

Hitoshi hummed and nodded. He wasn't sure he would be able to sleep at all tonight with his all consuming worry for Izuku. 

"Can I be excused?" Hitoshi asked. 

His parents glanced at each other with concern, but then nodded. 

"Of course, sweetie." His mom replied, ruffling is hair. "Hopefully you will feel better in the morning."

"Make sure to get some sleep." His dad said as he left the kitchen. 

After making it to his room, Hitoshi laid on his bed and stared at the ceiling as he thought about his friend. He tossed and turned as he tried to get comfortable. He felt tears pool in his eyes. He shouldn't have let Izuku go back home. 

That night Hitoshi didn't get much sleep because his worries for Izuku kept him awake.

>*<

Hitoshi walked into the busy classroom, his stomach twisting with anxiety. He didn't see Izuku in his usual seat. He had waited for quite awhile outside the school for as long as he dared before making his way to the classroom. He sat at his desk and continued to stare at Izuku's empty seat for several minutes before his attention was captured by Bakugo who was talking to his friends.

"It looks like Deku isn't here yet. Maybe he finally realized that he isn't wanted here." Bakugo said with a smirk. His loyal followers laughed.

"I hope he never comes back. He was such a loser." One of them sneered. 

"Quirkless Deku finally took the hint." Anther sniggered. 

Hitoshi was so mad, he swore he saw red. He was just about to shout at them to shut up when the teacher walked in. It was Nakamura-san. The nicest teacher in the whole entire school. Hitoshi really liked her. She was really nice to him and she seemed to favor Izuku and see his talents even though he was "quirkless". And in Hitoshi's opinion, anyone who is kind to Izuku is a friend in his book. He settled down and listened as she called the classes attention.